Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2007, 08:34 AM

Default school confiscates cell phone, lawyer dad is mad?

A lawyer called me for help on a legal research project. He wanted something saying that the school could not confiscate his cellular phone.

They have a rule at this school - they see your cell phone, they take it until the end of the day. Second offense, they give it back to the kid's parent after a week. Third offense, they keep it for 30 days. This guy sounds really pissed off so I get the impression that it's his cell phone, or at least his kid's cell phone.

I wanted to tell him, "Dawg, how about having your kid follow the school rules and learn to take the consequences of his behavior?" But I had to hold my tongue. He was all about holding the district accountable for seizing his property without due process, blah blah blah.

so what are the odds that this guy's kid is going to turn into a deuche?
Old 02-01-2007, 08:36 AM

Default Re: school confiscates cell phone, lawyer dad is mad?

I'm sure the kid already is a douche. Public schools should all get cell phone jammers.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure the kid already is a douche. ALL schools should all get cell phone jammers.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I was a teacher/professor, everytime your cell phone goes off in class you would lose 5% of your grade or have to write a ten page report.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just because you have it at school doesn't mean you're using it during class.

[/ QUOTE ]
Did you use it during school hours? If you did and its an emergency, then fine, whatever. Given that the dad was really pissed, and a first offense is only "confiscate until day's end," it sounds like this kid was using his cell during school on more than a regular basis.

I agree that the best solution to this "problem" is to use common sense, but it doesn't take a lot of brains to figure out the most likely scenario given OP's description.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure the kid already is a douche. ALL schools should all get cell phone jammers.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I was a teacher/professor, everytime your cell phone goes off in class you would lose 5% of your grade or have to write a ten page report.

[/ QUOTE ]

My college Business 101 teacher had that rule. (10%) No phones ever rang.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This reminds me of this one school I went to for a year which had the policy "if your cell phone goes off during class (without having a really important reason that you tell the teacher about before class), then next class you bring cake(or similar) for everyone to eat". I wasn't there much though so I have no idea if they actually went through with this, but they said it several times during the first day etc.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In my MBA program, anyone whose cell phone rang during class was assessed a $10 fine. I don't remember what the money ended up being used for - I think it was charity.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You would be the worst teacher ever.

Seriously, I like how these schools/teachers can just "steal" items from students whenever they feel like it.

It's not their's so what makes it right that they should take it.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:55 PM

Why is this thread so long?

Don't use your cell phone in class - for very obvious reasons - and if you were to use it in class, then you get punished. How hard is it to turn it off for class, then use it in-between classes, at lunch, study whatever?

[ QUOTE ]
Third offense, they keep it for 30 days.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not a very smart rule as personal property issues come to the fore - just disallow them to have a cell phone on school property for 30 days.

-Al
Old 02-01-2007, 08:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

so what are the odds that this guy's kid is going to turn into a deuche?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ask your four-year-old.