Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2007, 02:43 PM

Default Calling All-In\'s with Marginal hands vs shortstack LAGS

Take this scenario: Villain is 30/25/3.5

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (5 handed) Full Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($4.55)
MP ($10)
Button ($10.95)
Hero ($9.75)
BB ($5.20)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $0.35</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.35</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $4.9 (All-In)</font>, Hero...

Basically my move here was a semi-bluff, but at the same time against an opponent like this I believe I have/had the best hand. When he comes over the top of me, might it still hold true (that I can possibly have the best hand) or do I have to fold this every time?

I know A9 is not exactly a great hand, so how would this differ with a hand like AJ,A10,KQ, or even lower pockets (VS this specific opponent).
Old 11-28-2007, 02:58 PM

Default Re: Calling All-In\'s with Marginal hands vs shortstack LAGS

Looks like a fold to me, but try stoving a range AJ+,99+. Maybe you have 40% equity. But I doubt it. Anyway, I don't understand your preflop play.

1) First of all this guy is quite aggressive, so will probably put in money postflop. (call&gt; 3bet)
2) He is UTG, so if he's decent his range is not that wide. And your hand sucks against even a wide calling/shoving range. (fold&gt;3bet)
3) By reraising you make a big pot compared to stack size. That takes away the advantage of position. (call&gt; 3bet)
4) He's playing half a buy-in, so your implied odds aren't terrific (fold&gt;call)

Conclusion: I fold preflop.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:58 PM

I fold preflop in this hand. I try to be very aware of a SS lag's position to me. I'm willing to make looser calls with them, but not A9s loose. Part of your value with a hand like Axs is the suit factor, which doesn't pay off heads up.

I actually tighten up a little on my preflop raising standards when they're on my left, forgoing my normal late position raising standards, just because I know many times I'm going to be facing a heads up all in re-raise.

That said I tend to play 88+ more aggressively against them if I can.

Watch what they show down as well. Someone pushing big on 9's or raising pre then pushing regardless once the flop is out is more dangerous than the guy going all in preflop with 4's.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:03 PM

I think opening up your range here vs a LAG donk and playing for stacks with a marginal holding is a mistake. At least see a flop first...
Old 11-29-2007, 09:10 PM

I like it with AJ. Your hand is too weak to 3bet though. Too short for a call and you aren't closing the action. MAYBE his range is tighter UTG as well. Fold preflop. If this raise came from the SB or button I think it's better but still very marginal.