Old 11-13-2007, 10:32 PM

Default Re: Article: 5 Reasons You\'re Not Losing Weight

Too much bread and sugar, not enough vegetables & fruits, not enough exercise
Old 11-15-2007, 09:35 AM

You've read Real Food haven't you AZK?
Old 11-15-2007, 10:04 AM

Writers using this argument are laughable to me. "Don't you find it odd that the experts blame butter and beef for heart disease, even though heart disease is new and traditional foods are old? Heart disease as we know it was first diagnosed by James Herrick in 1912; it is a 20th century disease. Meanwhile, we (or our ancestors) have been eating milk and butter for 10,000 to 30,000 years and beef for 2 or 3 million."

News flash brilliant writer: The life expectancy of humans has grown radically just within the last 100 years. If you factor out deaths before puberty, the average age has gone from 62 to 75 just recently.
http://www.healthsentinel.com/graphs...rint_list_item

Don't you think that all these extra years eating butter and meat might have something to do with the onset of long-term heart-related problems? Do you think that maybe our ancestors weren't falling over with grabbers because they were dying off at the ripe old age of 35 from an infected wound or a broken bone?
Old 11-15-2007, 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You've read Real Food haven't you AZK?

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't but it sounds like it's going in the same direction I am. I think we will probably disagree about certain foods and I don't eat some of what she has discussed from what I can gather just by skimming....but we both believe in the same thing: If you want to be healthy, eat real food.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:17 PM

Good advise in this article. Most people trying to lose weight cut to many calories! It is possible to get fatter by eating less! If you cut your daily caloric intake by more than 10% or so your body will think you're trying to starve it and slow the rate it burns calories.

You need to determine the amount of calories you need to maintain current weight and reduce it no more than 10%. Another trick is to cycle the calories. Say you need 3000 to maintain, eat 2700 1 day, 3100 the next day, 2800 next day 3000 the next day then 2700 ect.

Hope this helps
Old 11-15-2007, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Writers using this argument are laughable to me. "Don't you find it odd that the experts blame butter and beef for heart disease, even though heart disease is new and traditional foods are old? Heart disease as we know it was first diagnosed by James Herrick in 1912; it is a 20th century disease. Meanwhile, we (or our ancestors) have been eating milk and butter for 10,000 to 30,000 years and beef for 2 or 3 million."

News flash brilliant writer: The life expectancy of humans has grown radically just within the last 100 years. If you factor out deaths before puberty, the average age has gone from 62 to 75 just recently.
http://www.healthsentinel.com/graphs...rint_list_item

Don't you think that all these extra years eating butter and meat might have something to do with the onset of long-term heart-related problems? Do you think that maybe our ancestors weren't falling over with grabbers because they were dying off at the ripe old age of 35 from an infected wound or a broken bone?

[/ QUOTE ]

Or, believe it or not, from something closer to old age than we might think. Agricultural work used to be HARD. Waking up at 4 in the morning to break your back all day, and then maybe eat an imbalanced diet and maybe have food in short supply anyway, doesn't do a lot for a person's health and longevity. People used to be quite small and there wasn't anything like serious medical science or even good sanitation around to keep people in top form. Even if there were, who could afford it? A hard life and dying even before 30 wasn't uncommon.

It's definitely silly to talk about the diseases of old age not inflicting those who often didn't live into old age or anywhere even close in the first place.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:17 PM

What kind of effect does drinking pop like Coke Zero or Diet Coke or some of the Diet Rite Pure Zero colas?
Old 11-15-2007, 05:19 PM

I just read in Men's Fitness today that after studying 30 years of aspartame research they found that it didnt cause cancer or make you gain weight. It was from some scientific journal.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just read in Men's Fitness today that after studying 30 years of aspartame research they found that it didnt cause cancer or make you gain weight. It was from some scientific journal.

[/ QUOTE ]

true, studies that do show aspartame causing cancer squeeze 30 years of aspartame intake into a few weeks (ie if you drink over 20,000 cans of "diet" soda in 30 years, they'll feed the equivalent amount to rats over over a few weeks [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]).

IMO its still good to be cautious and limit yourself to 1 per day.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:48 PM

It can cause similar spaciness and head/neck aches as phenyalanine, one of its components, can, so it's not completely invisible in its effect on many people. However, that effect varies from person to person too, and is dependent on how much you've already consumed.

I find it can interfere with my digestion if I take too much, and it can give me the spacey thing and occasionally a really tight neck and/or headaches. I'll still drink diet sodas, but I can't say I feel smart for doing it.