Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2007, 04:11 PM

Default Re: Contact Info

[ QUOTE ]
I highly doubt politicians read any letters sent to them, they most likely have assistants who categorize them in piles and just continue to stack them up. These guys are too busy golfing or taking paid vacations to Tahiti with our tax dollars.

[/ QUOTE ]

These guys want to keep their lifestyle of paid vacations to Tahiti. To do this, they have to appeal to what the voters want. That's why letters can be effective. They also can safely assume that, if they recieve no consituent feedback on an issue, the issue has no backing. Regardless, letters are certainly more effective than no letters.

I'm as pissed as you, but I'll be really pissed at myself if I don't do what I can to preserve my rights. I hope you'll at least make a couple phone calls. That way, at least you can tell off some of these people.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:27 PM

Default Re: John Ensign\'s response to wizardofodds.com\'s Michael Shackelford

i hate mudslinging, but it seems poker and bj players have been the victim of such underhanded politics with the frisch stuff, that targeting politicians who are vocal about disallowing games of skill is a reasonable idea.

finding out truthful details about politicians, and making sure their constituents know about it seems fair to me!
Old 02-25-2007, 06:37 PM

Default Re: Fight UIGEA!! -- Action plan for week of 2/26

[ QUOTE ]
Hopefully we'll find a way to do something similar for Republicans who support us. There aren't many, though.

[/ QUOTE ]Also, they have no power right now. They changed a lot of rules in the House to give the minority less and less power when they were the majority, and now they're paying for it. So far this year they've only been able to attach an amendment to one bill (the amendment was something about funding some form of alternative energy research).
Old 02-25-2007, 06:54 PM

True, House Republicans have less power now (Senate Republicans have plently of power in the minority, though). I think it's a good thing. They need a few years out to remember their "limited government" principles. It's obviously a good thing for us, given that only 17 of them voted against UIGEA in July.

Still, I think we want to be careful to keep our efforts as bipartisan as possible, of course.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:17 PM

I agree. If this becomes a Democrat circle jerk, you can count me out.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If this becomes a Democrat circle jerk, I'll be out before you.

We'll keep it bipartisan. The Republican Party will benefit by rediscovering its committment to individual liberties and limited government. I meant what I wrote in my letter to Ensign.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:05 PM

Just wrote my Congressman Dennis Moore again today. Hopefully, I'll write my Senators (for a second time) tommorrow.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just wrote my Congressman Dennis Moore again today. Hopefully, I'll write my Senators (for a second time) tommorrow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent! I wrote to my congressman today as well. Can't hurt, right?

If you can, will you also send notes to Reid and Ensign this week? You'll likely be able to reuse all or most of the note you sent to Moore, so it shouldn't be too much more.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I never meant it that way. I've just added the people who are clearly <u>actively</u> fighting for us. If I have missed someone I want to know regardless of party. I believe there is a site like actblue for Republicans but I'll have to find it.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you can, will you also send notes to Reid and Ensign this week? You'll likely be able to reuse all or most of the note you sent to Moore, so it shouldn't be too much more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Done. Although there was no mention on Ensign's site of accepting non Nevadan email.