Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Limit-->NL
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2007, 01:27 PM

Default Are Players More Likely to \"Make Moves\" After You Suffer a Bad Beat?

As I try to learn no limit (mostly online NL50 right now), I'm trying to figure out the answer to this. Is this some form of tilt-induced paranoia, or are players really more prone to cold-call, squeeze, semi-bluff, and float someone who has just suffered a bad beat (about which I never complain)?

FWIW, I play a smallball style which likes to see a flop, with bet-fold and raise-fold lines in my arsenal. I almost never pot the flop and I've been known to check-call down with TPTK against an aggressive opponent. I have a pretty good rate of getting folds with my semi-bluffs because I cultivate a trappy, tricky tight-passive table image (hopefully), but I'm not sure how that image gets affected by taking a bad beat.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:04 PM

Default Re: Are Players More Likely to \"Make Moves\" After You Suffer a Bad Beat?

I would not be overly concerned about this for the following reasons.

1) to assume that your opponents at those stakes and paying close enough attention to how your running and then adjusted their games based on the assumption that you took a bad beat and are therefore unlikely to want to get involved in a big pot again is giving them too much credit imo.
2) Even if they are a lot of people think that after taking a bad beat opponents are sometimes more likely to play loose than tight so again it is probably not worth your time to over analyze this.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:05 PM

Default Re: Are Players More Likely to \"Make Moves\" After You Suffer a Bad Beat?

why not just start at nl10, grind for a while, and get a feel for how the game goes?
Old 11-27-2007, 10:07 PM

Default Re: Are Players More Likely to \"Make Moves\" After You Suffer a Bad Bea

[ QUOTE ]
why not just start at nl10, grind for a while, and get a feel for how the game goes?

[/ QUOTE ]

I did start at NL25, which I seemed to do fine at, but I seem to hit a few roadblocks after moving up to NL50. I don't feel comfortable enough to move up to NL100. (I practice very conservative bankroll management.)
Old 11-27-2007, 10:14 PM

Default Re: Are Players More Likely to \"Make Moves\" After You Suffer a Bad Bea

[ QUOTE ]
I would not be overly concerned about this for the following reasons.

1) to assume that your opponents at those stakes and paying close enough attention to how your running and then adjusted their games based on the assumption that you took a bad beat and are therefore unlikely to want to get involved in a big pot again is giving them too much credit imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, my concern is that people are playing differently because they think I am on tilt, which they might if within an orbit of taking a bad beat, I open from middle position a couple of times and c-beet the flop only to fold to a raise. I have no idea how to put my opponents on a hand range if they think I am a tilt monkey.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:22 AM

If you get a big hand play it really really aggressively.

A few times I've taken a beat and got dealt AA/KK next hand, as long as people at the table noticed the beat you can push preflop and often get called by A8, 66 etc.

If you think people are viewing you as a tilt monkey then dont cbet for a while since you'll get looked up. Value bet your big hands harder etc.

After an orbit or two though it should be forgotten and you can get back to normal.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

A few times I've taken a beat and got dealt AA/KK next hand, as long as people at the table noticed the beat you can push preflop and often get called by A8, 66 etc.

If you think people are viewing you as a tilt monkey then dont cbet for a while since you'll get looked up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen this happen, for 2 orbits I was getting every hand like AA, KK etc, honestly, and the flops hit me beautifully. I was flopping sets and driving them hard but lost about every hand...this was the 1st orbit. On the 2nd orbit same thing happened again except I was actually tilting but still hitting those flops but now 2 smarter players started calling with anything, I can only assume they figured I suffered a bad beat, was now tilting and playing rubbish any old 2 cards. My sets and 2pairs were coming in though and I ended those 2 orbits +/- zero P&L.

Go figure. I have never seen such a merry-go-around, I was taking a shot at NL50, my wife was standing next to me seeing those $90-$100 pots flying around and practically screaming.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If you think people are viewing you as a tilt monkey then dont cbet for a while since you'll get looked up. Value bet your big hands harder etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you do with medium strength hands where people are looking you up? Say you have ATs and the flop comes JT3 giving you a backdoor flush draw. You raised in late middle position and get called by a couple of players who have position on you and you feel that if you bet the flop, you'll get at least one caller with no idea of your opponent's range. You think they might check and call down with top pair hoping you spew chips with bad bluffs, but you're not sure.