Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 10:20 AM

Default Hand Ranging Street by Street exercise.

Stealing from Sushi, I thought I would do another hand review exercise here.

This one I am doing street by street and the purpose of the exercise is to start the thinking process and make adjustments as the hand plays out.

This of course is a tough thing to do and it wasn't until I got to have a one on one conversation with Wookiee when I met him in Niagara that I did this personally. I have, in the hands since, basically doubled my win rate because of starting to think and make adjustments better by doing a lot of these when I play.

There is no hero here. You are just an observer in this hand.

Full Ring 1/2

Player Notes:

BB
300 hands 25 VPIP 12 PFR 1.5AF 1.5 bb/100 win rate recorded. This guy is pretty solid. Defends his blinds better than most heads up. Seems aware of position and misses value bets on the river.

MP2
600 hands 45 VPIP 25 PFR 1.8AF 4bb/100 win rate recorded. This guy is tricky. Donks, check/raises and 3 bets more than most. He seems to win a lot of big hands but is timid H/U.

CO
1200 hands 18VPIP 4 PFR 1.1AF .8bb/100 win rate recorded. This guy is very tight calls down most aggression unless he has very strong hand then he can 3 bet flop

Button
4000 hands VPIP 25% PFR 18 2.4AF 2.3bb/100 recorded win rate. You see this guy all the time and he is tough to beat. Capable of anything postflop. He multitables on 3 tables usually, you have seen him take the full time allotment over and over again.

PREFLOP action:

4 folds MP2 raises, 1 fold, CO calls, Button raises, 1 fold, BB calls, MP2 caps, CO calls, Button calls, BB calls
Old 10-16-2007, 01:29 PM

Default Re: Hand Ranging Street by Street exercise.

I guess you now want us to give hand ranges for all players?

BB: ATs+, AKo, JJ, QQ (rest is raise or fold)
MP2: A9s+, 77+, AJo+, KQs,QJs maybe also TJs,T9s (him being tricky makes me believe he'll 3-bet/cap a wide range of hands.)
CO: ATs-AQs, JJ-KK (I believe he'll only play strong draws here and likes to see if he hits the flop before committing)
BTN: JJ+, AKs (he's facing a raise and a call from a very tight person, so he needs something decent here to 3-bet)

This is actually harder to do then I thought when I started writing this post [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2007, 05:00 PM

Ok, here it goes:

MP2: AA-QQ, AK, Maybe JJ, AQs, maybe, maybe something less (I've see some weird caps lately with A9o etc).

CO: Suited broadway, JJ-88, AK-J, AQ-9s.

BTN: AA-TT, AK-AQ, AKs-AJs, KQs.

BB: JJ-99, AK, KQ-Js, QJs, JTs, AQ-Js

I appreciate that you are doing this smurph. I think we need to deepen the discussion in the forum in general. So come on folks, help Poker-smurph with his post!
Old 10-16-2007, 08:47 PM

Do we have any reads on what CO has cold called in the past? Or even just his cold calling stat? If we have 1200 hands on him, we should have some idea of how often he's cold calling.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:31 PM

MP2: AA, KK, QQ, JJ, TT, 99, AK-10s, KQs, KJs, AK-AJ, and maybe even KQ.
Reason I put him on such a broad capping range is b/c players like these, especially ones on such a win streak such as he, likes to raise to many hands. These players tend to seek justification in their raises instead of reasons not to raise.

BB: This one seems wierd, and out of the ordinary. Here you have a player who seems solid, has a good PFR and seems to be aware of atleast basic poker concept. When he calls 3 cold then calls the cap you have to take note. You would think this player would raise/fold rather than call 3 cold. Since his play is so peculiar I put him on a very narrow range.
AA-JJ, AKs-AQs, AK maybe AQ

Button: If he is infact multitabling that would indicate a lot of his action here was reflex. Lacking some thought. Since his decision would have to be more obvious than normal, I am also going to put him on a narrow range.
AA-JJ, AKs-A10s, KQs, KJs, AK-AJ

CO: With your description and his PFR I would say this guy has a good hand but is timid to play it, wanting to see the flop before he makes a decision.
AA-TT, KQs, QJs, AK, AQ
Old 10-17-2007, 09:36 AM

BB 77-JJ AKs
MP2 66+ QJs+ KQ+
CO 88+ AJs+ AQ+
Button 1010+ KQs+ AJ+
Old 10-17-2007, 11:12 AM

BB TT+ AQo+ AQs+ JTs+
MP2 QQ+ AQs+ AKo KQs
CO JJ+ T9s+ AKo+ AJs+
BU JJ+ AKo+ AJs+ JTs+
Old 10-17-2007, 12:10 PM

This is an area that I REALLY need to work on my skillset, but not sure where to start and anything I would post would be a SWAG at best.

At this time I play very intuitively in this area... meaning I can't say I'm cognizantly thinking through what my opponents range is to the extent that you guys do. I have some clues(or at least a full tank of gas and a map to the clue store) what my oppenents hands are and on occasion I nail it, but again... this is more intuition than thinking through the possibilities.

I only recently have started using poker tracker as well as PA HUD, and I would have to say they have both helped tremendously, as it helps me put into perspective what player type I'm up against, but again I'm not going through the process of.... this guys starting range is such and then deducing what said player has based on position.

I do want to develop and hone this skill, but again not sure where to start in working on this aspect.

Rig
Old 10-17-2007, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is an area that I REALLY need to work on my skillset, but not sure where to start and anything I would post would be a SWAG at best.

At this time I play very intuitively in this area... meaning I can't say I'm cognizantly thinking through what my opponents range is to the extent that you guys do. I have some clues(or at least a full tank of gas and a map to the clue store) what my oppenents hands are and on occasion I nail it, but again... this is more intuition than thinking through the possibilities.

I only recently have started using poker tracker as well as PA HUD, and I would have to say they have both helped tremendously, as it helps me put into perspective what player type I'm up against, but again I'm not going through the process of.... this guys starting range is such and then deducing what said player has based on position.

I do want to develop and hone this skill, but again not sure where to start in working on this aspect.

Rig

[/ QUOTE ]

This exercise is the perfect place to start. I won't even be close when this is over, but it was worth a shot. Try it if your wrong who cares and someone here might be able to help you get better at it.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:01 PM

Preflop its about understanding two things:

Obviously their ranges of hands they limp and hands they raise with. Using pokerstove and some intuition you can figure out usually fairly well what they can do both with.

Couple this with understanding a bit about how a player plays by looking at their betting patterns you should be able to ascertain why they play. This usually provides a much greater understanding of the player and sadly changes their starting ranges more than you think.

So for those that have tried, try to determine if your ranges are correct by looking at their motivations and go ahead and change your answers if you feel its necessary.

For those that haven't tried please give this a shot, all I can say is that it has probably been the biggest helpful exercise I have done since I started.

Wookiee really suggested to me to do this a lot and I really can't stress enough how beneficial it is.