Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2007, 06:10 PM

Default Right handed vs left handed things

This might be kind of stupid but.. why are many two handed things the way they are? By that I mean, why are the most important things done by your left hand when your right hand is the "better" hand. Two examples: guitars and game controllers. Wouldn't it make more sense for them to be switched? Wouldn't fingering a guitar be easier with your right hand while you strum with the left? What do left handed people think about this? Are left handed people better console gamers than right?
Old 09-15-2007, 06:17 PM

Default Re: Right handed vs left handed things

I've thought the same thing about guitars, but that's probably just because I don't know how important plucking the strings is in comparison to finding the frets.

FWIW I find guns are often uncomfortable to shoot if you want to shoot them left-handed. On semi-auto pistols, the shell casings don't clear you as easily and they are HOT. And on rifles, there is often a cheek plate or pistol grip design that makes things very comfortable for a right-hander and really uncomfortable for a lefty. (I do one-hand things with my right but two-handed like pool cues, bow/arrow, rifle with left hand emphasis.)
Old 09-15-2007, 06:23 PM

pron
Old 09-15-2007, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
pron

[/ QUOTE ]

Left hand >>>> right, and this coming from a righty.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:50 PM

baseball is also either if you are left handed. Unless you want to be a middle infielder.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This might be kind of stupid but.. why are many two handed things the way they are? By that I mean, why are the most important things done by your left hand when your right hand is the "better" hand. Two examples: guitars and game controllers. Wouldn't it make more sense for them to be switched? Wouldn't fingering a guitar be easier with your right hand while you strum with the left? What do left handed people think about this? Are left handed people better console gamers than right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, I'm not sure how you're holding the controller, but the right hand has the more important role in most games on most controller. e.g. Halo, the left hand controls your movement while the right hand controls both the face buttons and aiming.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I might be a better console gamer than a right-hander if I had any talent. Interesting thought.

Guitars I don't understand. I am mostly left-handed in normal day-to-day activities (eating, brushing teeth, etc.) but am right-handed at almost all things athletic (except for throwing a baseball).

I learned right-handed on the guitar because I had a right-handed guitar to learn on, but I probably would have gone that way by choice. It feels right.

I think it has mostly to do with the orientation of the instrument. Maybe holding a guitar with the neck toward the left is like holding a baseball bat on the right side of your body and swinging left. Since I am mostly right-handed when it comes to athletics, this theory makes sense to me. I definitely don't feel right looking down the neck of a left-handed guitar.

Maybe too it's that the right hand is the strumming hand, which is all in the wrist/arm. If you can't throw a ball left-handed, you probably can't strum a guitar left-handed.

The right hand kind of floats over the top of the bridge too, which takes some fine motor control, while the left hand gets to wrap itself around the neck.

Side note: I noticed you right-handers switch your fork to your left hand and your knife to your right to cut a piece of steak, then switch the fork back to your right to eat it. That is so weird. My fork always stays in my left hand, and I just cut with my right. No switching required.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:15 PM

Strumming takes more coordination then fingering.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:15 PM

How common is it to use differant hands for certain things, for instance: I write with my left hand but throw with my right hand. Why would I do that?
Old 09-15-2007, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
pron

[/ QUOTE ]

Left hand >>>> right, and this coming from a righty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Opposite hand is too much work. It feels like I'm getting a handjob from a retard.