Old 04-13-2007, 12:02 PM
JPT III JPT III is offline

Location: NYC
Default PSA: PokerStars will not let me cash out -- EVER!

For those of you (and I know there are many) that utilize the transfer method at Stars in order to pay debts/transfer money with you buddies, BEWARE. This could happen to you.

I know 2+2ers are sometimes quite skeptical, so I'll provide a bit of detail.....

Several months ago, when two people owed me money, we agreed that they would pay me in Stars money. I didn't have a Stars account yet, and had been staying away from Poker since Party pulled out. I figured this to be a good time to get back in, and a good way to get my money. So I opened an account, and had approx 6K transferred to me at Stars. That's how I funded my account.

Fully aware that Stars is not a clearinghouse, and with the intention to get back into poker, I left the money in Stars, and I played a whole bunch of poker. Limit, no limit. Didn't record exactly how much, but played a lot, and I even won a bit.

Towards the end of March, I wanted to withdraw 5K (balance was then 6800ish), and so I made the request. Then, Pokerstars wrote me an email requesting an explanation of why I funded my account by receiving money from other players. So, I wrote back, explaining as I did above the circumstances. Then they write back and say that I cannot withdraw my money. I offered to pay any banking expenses associated with the withdraw, and asked what I could do in order to get MY MONEY. They simply refuse to let me withdraw, on the basis that the player to player money transfer is only for the transfer of money that IS THE RESULT of play at their tables. (then why the f*** did they let me initially fund my account in such a manner, when such a transfer necessarily could not have been the result of play at their tables -- since the account was just opened?!?!)

I've been back and forth with them, asked them what I can do in order to have access to my money, and they tell me I can send it back to my friends (no longer an option for me) or use it at their tables (in other words, lose it at their tables). They simply will not budge or tell me what I can do to have access to MY MONEY.

Anyone that thinks they can help, please PM me. And for anyone that receives transfers from anything that is not literally a "result of activity on [Stars] tables," -- BEWARE. You're money may not be able to be withdrawn.

I guess the thing I really find unconscionable here is how Stars permitted me to open an account and fund it with player transfers, and then later takes the position that any transfer not made "as a result of activity at [Stars] tables" cannot be withdrawn. In that event, no one should ever be able to initially fund his or her account with player transfers, as they necessarily could not have made the transfer as a result of table activity! In addition, simply as a matter of good faith and customer service, they should at least offer me some resolution (pay banking fees, more play at the tables, etc.) whereby I can make the withdraw, somehow, someday, of MY MONEY.

[img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 04-13-2007, 12:09 PM
NU Star NU Star is offline

Default Re: PSA: PokerStars will not let me cash out -- EVER!

You can probably find someone to give you PayPal for stars$. Find someone trusted in the peer-to-peer transfer thread.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:28 PM
APerfect10 APerfect10 is offline

Location: PokerTracker 3

[ QUOTE ]
They simply refuse to let me withdraw, on the basis that the player to player money transfer is only for the transfer of money that IS THE RESULT of play at their tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes no sense to me. Why would you need to transfer money to players due to the result of play at the tables. Last time I checked, when I lose a hand, Pokerstars takes the money from my stack and puts it into the winning player stack.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:32 PM
JPT III JPT III is offline

Location: NYC

They simply refuse to let me withdraw, on the basis that the player to player money transfer is only for the transfer of money that IS THE RESULT of play at their tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes no sense to me. Why would you need to transfer money to players due to the result of play at the tables. Last time I checked, when I lose a hand, Pokerstars takes the money from my stack and puts it into the winning player stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I couldn't agree with you more. Other than collusion, it's difficult to fathom the need to transfer money to players "as a result of activity at their tables." Of course, if 7 guys are colluding on a table, and they need to cut up their profits at the end of the day in order to prepare for their next session, I can see the need to make such a transfer "as a result of activity at Stars' tables." But at the moment that's the only scenario I can think of.

Maybe one of the a*s-clowns from Stars would like to come on and explain?

A*s-clowns, you out there? Care to explain????
Old 04-13-2007, 01:04 PM
Alobar Alobar is offline

Location: spite shoving minraises

[ QUOTE ]

Maybe one of the a*s-clowns from Stars would like to come on and explain?

A*s-clowns, you out there? Care to explain????

[/ QUOTE ]

prolly not the best way to get what you want man. I know you're upset and pissed, but if you really want resolution to this the above aint gunna be helpful.

I agree your problem is pretty absurd, sounds like something partypoker would do, not stars. Can you transfer it to someone other than the friends that initially funded you're account? If so then I would do like an above poster said and find someone trusted to transfer it to who will send you $$ via paypal.

If that doesnt work, say you want to play in the 200/400 game, a higher up from stars will personally call you (often lee jones) and then tell them the story?
Old 04-13-2007, 01:10 PM
augie_ augie_ is offline

Location: Peoria, IL

JPT,

I have been reading these threads for years. Honestly, I don't even feel bad 99% of the time because the OP always leaves out some important facts like the money originated from stolen credit cards or something. A good start would be posting your emails to and from Pokerstars.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:21 PM
JPT III JPT III is offline

Location: NYC

Maybe one of the a*s-clowns from Stars would like to come on and explain?

A*s-clowns, you out there? Care to explain????

[/ QUOTE ]

prolly not the best way to get what you want man. I know you're upset and pissed, but if you really want resolution to this the above aint gunna be helpful.

I agree your problem is pretty absurd, sounds like something partypoker would do, not stars. Can you transfer it to someone other than the friends that initially funded you're account? If so then I would do like an above poster said and find someone trusted to transfer it to who will send you $$ via paypal.

If that doesnt work, say you want to play in the 200/400 game, a higher up from stars will personally call you (often lee jones) and then tell them the story?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I can't disagree with your opening paragraph. I'm just livid. Thanks for the tips as well. I'm exploring options, but regardless of what happens with my situation (if I figure out a way out of this), I think Stars owes an explanation for this, and should address the issue and the asinine position it has taken.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:26 PM
JPT III JPT III is offline

Location: NYC

[ QUOTE ]
JPT,

I have been reading these threads for years. Honestly, I don't even feel bad 99% of the time because the OP always leaves out some important facts like the money originated from stolen credit cards or something. A good start would be posting your emails to and from Pokerstars.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm no thief or criminal. I guess maybe I'm the 1% that you note above. ;-) Here are the emails:

Hello ******,

As mentioned by my colleague, you are free to use these funds on our
tables or return them to the sender to make other payment arrangemets
among yourselves.

regards,

Tuan
Pokerstars Security.

Old 04-13-2007, 01:44 PM
MicroBob MicroBob is offline

Location: The cat is back by popular demand.

Jorge at Stars said:
"can play at the tables and not simply receive a transfer and then immediately cash it out"

This is where you point out that you have played on Stars a GREAT DEAL and are NOT 'simply receiving a transfer and cashing it out'.

So, how much DID you actually play on Stars?
All the other stuff you are explaining doesn't seem very helpful to me.

You say that it is money for playing poker and that you have played a lot already.
You then ask how much you need to play with the money before being allowed to cash-out.

I agree Stars isn't handling this so great if you really have played a lot. Because that makes Jorge's statement about immediately turning it around and trying to cash it out incorrect.

But your failure to point that out to him more directly may be exacerbating the communication problemo here.

Hopefully Stars sees this thread sooner or later and comes up with a solution or more direct answer for you.
You may want to try PM'ing somebody like sciolist or scotyy or one of those guys.

Or you can try e-mailing Stars again with more direct questions observations about how much you have played already and how much do you need to play in order to cash out.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:53 PM
TheIrishThug TheIrishThug is offline

Location: Belligerent and numerous

Make a (small) deposit, wait/play, withdraw.

I started my real money career off of transfers from a friend. It was a while ago, so I don't remember exactly. But I probably deposited some money for a bonus before I made any withdrawals, and I have never had any issues getting money off.