Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2006, 02:10 PM

Default Re: The Pyramid Bankroll Challenge: Is it time to move up?

[ QUOTE ]
you cant cheat the poker gods. you moved up 39cents too early. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

another 109 hands of horse this morning, two tabling, up 64.25 [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] pyramid roll now +30.22.

[/ QUOTE ]

The weird thing is all the quickee check-up stats that I use to see if I'm running well, or running badly (W$WSF, WTSD, W$SD) all say I'm running well at 1/2. And I'm losing... alot.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:02 PM

well, i can't comment intelligently about the stats, but maybe you need to rethink about how you interpret them.

I posted elsewhere that I would be embarrassed to tell you my 6max stats but after looking at them, i'm not sure I am all that embarrassed about the stats. now my play might be another story. that's what you need to be looking at.

(the 3/6 and 5/10 hands where the sad end of a 15bb challenge. the 2/4 hands were part of the challenge and a few failed shots.)
Old 09-18-2006, 06:21 PM

Table selection in 6 max is so much more important than the cards. Statistically the optimal route for winning in 6 max is not derived by playing your own cards but by playing in the spaces of your opponents.

Its pretty hard to determine what your line of thought is when you are approaching a 6 max session by looking at your stats.

I think you need to consider the possibility of table selection and opponent selection carefully when you make a move up a level and that is probably where most of us need work.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:28 PM

I have played this challenge 3 or 4 times now on 6-max micro NL tables. I really like it because it has let me play 3 levels above my "comfort" level with no chance of hurting my bankroll. It is clear that I still need work when moving up, and this is a great way to find out.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:20 AM

would you recommend this as a fun way to build your bankroll and try a few new limits or would you recommend the conservative approach to build your bankroll ( getting 150-200BB first then switch limits) ??

of course i'm talking about micro- & nanolimit games. i would never try this at higher limit games.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:34 AM

I don't think this challenge is appropriate for building a bankroll since the principle is to move up each time your are significantly head a certain level. Instead, it seems to be a way to try higher levels while preserving your bankroll. I think each technique has a place.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:58 AM

I think this is slower than deciding to bump a level but at the same time it also gives you a ride up the level train without really thinking about it.

If you do this challenge twice at the base level and beat it both times you probably played close to 8k hands at that level which amounts to your 160bb build up but if you tried the higher levels and succeeded on them at least once you padded your bankroll and your confidence a bit.

Currently I am thinking of doing a modified version of this starting at a base level and using the Grunch/wookiee method of table selection.

I just find it's a good tool for me to not worry about the money and instead focus on the learning. I know I am not going to lose much.

I just had a huge 200bb downswing this month and currently I am only down 14 dollars for the month and likely ahead with the bonus.

Course the month isn't over and I have to stop thinking of play periods with months as placeholders but a few more kicks around at this and maybe I can break that mindset.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
would you recommend this as a fun way to build your bankroll and try a few new limits or would you recommend the conservative approach to build your bankroll ( getting 150-200BB first then switch limits) ??

of course i'm talking about micro- & nanolimit games. i would never try this at higher limit games.

[/ QUOTE ]

If your looking for a fun way to build a bankroll or play new limits, I think the 15bb challange is what you should try. This is a systematic approach to moving up in levels without destroying your bankroll. As Smurph stated, this type of challange should take you at least 8k hands and thats being extremely conservative imo. I really think that if you are wanting to move yourself to a new limit, this is an excellent way to ease yourself in.