Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2007, 05:36 PM

Default Re: X-Post: poker pro - hardest job there is?

being a poker pro can be hard to "turn into a profession" aka hard to get started

but once you're established like msyelf....it's CAKE..seriously I can make $20K a month, and barely play...but when I first left school and was a weak winning player at party NL 100...it was TOUGH for me.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bike Messenger-- Better be on top of your mind here. Dodging traffic, people, dogs, etc. Get used to it after a while, until you get nailed by a car or flip your bike.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also did this. 12hr days of riding almost non-stop. Through 100 degrees in summer, and 0 degree mornings in winter... all day raining, etc. It's a tough job... but it's physical - I different type of difficult.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where?

Cleveland and Miami.

I think that there are different kinds of difficult. Physical and mental. I find it ironic that mental difficulty demands more attention to better food.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:56 PM

Perth, Australia. I still ride a lot and workout, staying in shape helps keep me sharp at the tables.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:08 PM

Pretty much every job I can think of is harder than being an online poker pro.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:11 PM

Yeah, I left my last bike somewhere and don't care to ride ever again. Sorry, getting reflective.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:14 PM

I hesitate to respond because the premise is just so silly. But fwiw I have been a poker pro for the last 18 months (during which I've probably played as many or more hands at 100/200+ LHE than anyone else on the planet) and for the ten years before then was a lawyer at a top DC law firm. Every day I play poker -- which is five days a week -- is like a vacation compared to my old job.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:17 PM

It probably is one of the hardest(stressful I guess you mean) jobs out there but some people thrive in it. There are jobs that are way worse than poker but that dosent mean they are "harder". Those desk jobs would frigging kill me, I could not sit there with nothing to do or meaningless tasks. As much as I hate the poker grind it is less difficult than doing that crap. Labor jobs are generally not mentally stressful but they can obviously be physically stresful. Again, some people thrive on this type of work and one mans "hard" work is anothers "cake job".

Also, your post sounds a little like I have heard from addicts who say, "You could just never understand what I am going through, I go through more pain than anyone else. I am unique in my pain." It's the ego wanting to believe that you are better/stronger because you can handle this level of stress. I recommend you stop thinking about how "hard" the job is and be extremelly thankful for the job you have. Not many people can do this for a living though and you should be somewhat proud that you can. Just be thankful that you are not doing something you hate. And if you do hate it, get different job!

fwiw

yoga
Old 10-20-2007, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are you a moron? Police, Fire Brigade, minumum wage workers doing [censored] jobs. GTFO poker pro is a lucrative hobby. Are you living in the real world?

[/ QUOTE ]

>>>Cop : Sit around, eat donuts. My old man was a cop for 28yrs, pretty cruisy job.<<<

Your dad is the exception and I will add that nobody really knows what our fathers went through because we were ignorant kids when we they were going through it. Most fathers hide their pain.

>>>Fire dude : Sit around even more. Go have fun fighting fire when bells rings - cool job.<<

Yeah, and I hear dying is real fun too.

>>>Min. wage dude : Soooooo, cleaner? What's hard about that job? McDonald's worker... seems pretty easy, too.

[/ QUOTE ]<<<

You were obviously spoiled by your parents to think this way. Min-wage jobs absoulutely suck.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:32 PM

depends how good you are at poker.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:34 PM

yogadude : Thank you for your very constructive input. Gives me something to think about.