Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Why aren't I the voluptuous black lady?
Because I'm a douche 31 26.27%
Because I'm stupid 24 20.34%
Because I don't like +EV 63 53.39%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 06:28 AM

Default Re: FutureDoc, Look inside.....[CENSORED] THREAD! [CENSORED] THREAD!

i think that you underestimate the amount of money to be won grinding 3/6 or even 5/10, without needing to be the best in the world.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:53 AM

Bengie,
Nearly every really good cash game player I know as had an 100k break even stretch. The only exception is Bigt because he never runs bad.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lacky, I have great respect for you and your game.

I think the difference is that some of us are 20-22 years old and are seeing these thousands of dollars and are making $50+ an hour and are thinking (rightfully so i hope) that if we are this young and have only been playing poker this seriously for a couple of years (or less) that we have a big ceiling above us that we can potentially get to.

We are trying to work on our games and at times it doesn't seem like we are really improving or making more money and we are frustrated because we see this great opportunity for 'financial freedom' and to not have to get real jobs when we graduate college.

For me personally, I understand that I have made more money for the last year or so then most adults and even college graduates make in a year but I am still frustrated because I think I can be making more then I am currently making.

I don't think there is anyone who would say that a college kid making $50+ an hour is doing badly, but when we see that we can be making more it is frustrating to be making 'just 50' or 'just x' .

Perhaps we are just spoiled, but I don't think thats it. I think we know that most of us are capable of making more money then we are currently making and are having a frustrating time getting there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you guys are spoiled at all, and there is nothing wrong with wanting more and working hard to get there. We ALL want more, and most of us that people would consider good around here are constantly working at it.

What I'm saying is that most of us will reach a platue, based mostly on inherent abilities I beleive, and will struggle to go significantly beyond it.

We should all shoot high, but there will always be someone running hotter, making more, playing higher, etc. To stay sane you have to learn to shoot higher while at the same time be happy with what you have accomplished and where you are. It's not easy. We all struggle with it. A few break out and play much higher, make much more. Most dont.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i guess all my griping is me realzing im not going to do what i want with poker. ill end up at some miserable job just like my parents and everyone around me did/are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your attitude might be a problem, but you're so freaking young and could do so many different things if you put your mind to it. You could still be a brain surgeon, a race car driver, a CIA agent, lion tamer, maybe an astronaut, maybe even a rich poker player if you allow for the possibility that it might even take a few years or more of hard work to become wildly successful at something.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To stay sane you have to learn to shoot higher while at the same time be happy with what you have accomplished and where you are. It's not easy. We all struggle with it. A few break out and play much higher, make much more. Most dont.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true about life in general, it so true it's sick.
My first chess tourney was in 1973, I picked up a state championship title, a life master title and a fide rating along the way... BUT.... I realized that I really had reached my theoretical ceiling. The fun stops when it takes 10x as much study to improve 2%. Psychologically it's a hard place to live, I've not played in any tourneys since 1996 and the thought of trying to get back into it makes me want to puke.

If it be poker, chess or life we all face it sooner or later. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2007, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i guess all my griping is me realzing im not going to do what i want with poker. ill end up at some miserable job just like my parents and everyone around me did/are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your attitude might be a problem, but you're so freaking young and could do so many different things if you put your mind to it. You could still be a brain surgeon, a race car driver, a CIA agent, lion tamer, maybe an astronaut, maybe even a rich poker player if you allow for the possibility that it might even take a few years or more of hard work to become wildly successful at something.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's an understandable transition though. I went through the same thing & it was extremely hard to realize I wasn't going to be a long-term successful poker player. It was putting a big strain on my life & not until did I talked to a friend(thanks, Mike), did I let it go.

This did NOT mean that poker was over & I couldn't be successful at it. I just realized that it wasn't really what I wanted as a career choice.

This may not even be true in cake's situation, but there is nothing wrong feeling what he is feeling. You just really have to take a step back & think about what you really want to do. You're a smart guy & like MB said, you can do whatever the [censored] you want.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whenever I start thinking like this, I look back and think about all the things poker has given me. Before poker I was just another dude that was out of college working at some crappy job hoping to get a 10% raise on my miserable salary. Since I quit my job 18 months ago, I've met a ton of cool people, seen some really amazing things, and have had the freedom to go wherever I want whenever I want to. If poker were to suddenly close up shop or I got hit on the head with a blunt object and forgot how to play I don't think I could objectively be mad at all the things and experiences that it has given me.

Making 50k at poker >>>>> 50k working for the man.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whenever I start thinking like this, I look back and think about all the things poker has given me. Before poker I was just another dude that was out of college working at some crappy job hoping to get a 10% raise on my miserable salary. Since I quit my job 18 months ago, I've met a ton of cool people, seen some really amazing things, and have had the freedom to go wherever I want whenever I want to. If poker were to suddenly close up shop or I got hit on the head with a blunt object and forgot how to play I don't think I could objectively be mad at all the things and experiences that it has given me.

Making 50k at poker >>>>> 50k working for the man.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well yeah, that sounds nice and all...

...but how much did you lose?

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Yugoslav
Old 11-08-2007, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
every time i think i understand poker, i end up [censored] up over and over again until i ruin my month and my graph looks like [censored]. [censored] hell. why cant i understand anything anymore ?

[/ QUOTE ]

what the [censored]? you're making 10ptbbs and bitching about it?
Old 11-08-2007, 02:19 PM

Post 999 (post 1000 just seconds away)
Closed Thread