Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2006, 11:33 AM

Default How does this affect those in the business?

I apologize for starting yet another thread here, as I know this forum is being cluttered. That being said, I've been following this debacle closely for the past few weeks and have a pretty good grasp on what it means for all of us as players. What I don't fully understand is how it affects those who are involved at more than just the player level and I didn't want this to get lost in one of the larger threads.

I sell poker related software. Even if I lose all of my US customers, there will still be non-US players who will be interested in my software. Will I be breaking any laws by selling my software? What about affiliates? Is accepting money from the poker sites for referring players a crime?

If these questions are premature and there's no way to know for sure, I apologize. Like most of you, I'm just trying to make sense of all of this.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:38 AM

Default Re: How does this affect those in the business?

I'm fairly certain the software sales will be perfectly fine.

The affiliate thing is a little more difficult to say given it probably will depend on how zealous any enforcement efforts are.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:42 AM

Probably speak to a lawyer as time moves on, but something silly like "intended for play money use only" would probably reduce your liability. Kind of like rolling papers at 7-11
Old 10-02-2006, 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Probably speak to a lawyer as time moves on, but something silly like "intended for play money use only" would probably reduce your liability. Kind of like rolling papers at 7-11

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the same thing.. you can see a bong and rolling paper that I am sure no one uses for illegal substances so poker ace hud should be no problem
Old 10-02-2006, 12:40 PM

Just an update. I have an affiliate account with Party for my "Get PA Hud for free by signing up at Party Poker" deal. I emailed my contact asking what was going to happen with that. Here is an email I received just a short while ago:

[ QUOTE ]

Hi,

As you have heard, there was the passage of legislation by the United States Senate on the weekend, which will have an unfortunate impact on our business relationship. It will make illegal any internet payments from American customers and will prevent us from accepting U.S. consumer deposits.

Please stop the campaign today.

We unfortunately will not be able to pay for any new players coming from today.

Please confirm when the campaign is stopped.

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sigh. Did any other affiliates receive a similar response?
Old 10-02-2006, 01:34 PM

Ace,

Your software sales are fine. As long as you don't "make or take any bets" this does not apply to you.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:25 PM

Yet another update, though I'm not sure this is related.

Neteller just closed my account. The email notification and the message I got gave no clue as to why. I called them and the person I spoke with said that investigations had closed my account. I asked if this had anything to do with the legislation that just passed, and he claimed it did not. He would give me no more information and said that their investigations team will contact me tomorrow.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:52 PM

very odd of neteller to close your account [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2006, 09:57 PM

merchant account?
Old 10-04-2006, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yet another update, though I'm not sure this is related.

Neteller just closed my account. The email notification and the message I got gave no clue as to why. I called them and the person I spoke with said that investigations had closed my account. I asked if this had anything to do with the legislation that just passed, and he claimed it did not. He would give me no more information and said that their investigations team will contact me tomorrow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is Neteller sending you your money you had in there???