Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 02:29 PM

Default So who here stack and tilts?

Really thought this was aweful at first, but the more I read, the more it makes sense, particularly in light of today's advances in equipment.

Thoughts on all streets are appreciated.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:55 PM

Default Re: So who here stack and tilts?

I did a lot of reading on it trying to figure out if I wanted to try it.

One thing I noticed was that the inventors (I know it's not actually 'new') say that the 'old' way turns the ball into a moving target because of the lateral weight shift. But THEIRS just turns it into a VERTICAL moving target because of the violent hip thrust...and IMHO I'll take the horizontal over the vertical.

Also, most people's games need improving in the short game area, so working on the long swing isn't the right focus.

So, after much consideration, I've decided to 'pass' on the stack and tilt.

However, how do you think 'in light of today's equipment' makes any diff? Just curious.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:30 PM

I think today’s equipment makes a difference more from a driving standpoint as you can’t generate quite as much power with the stack and tilt as I understand it. The inventors counter that with the fact that you should be able to make better, more consistent contact w/ S&T. Still, with the drivers / balls today giving you more than enough distance, control and consistency become paramount and that’s what S&T is intended to help with.

I’ve taken some practice swings stacking and tilting, and am surprised with what a good, consistent strokes I make. Now to take it to the range and see how it translates to ball striking.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:37 PM

Most good players do this anyway. They just do it more like what the stack and tilt guys propose with their short irons. It's great that they have a name for their method, and I like a lot of what they are saying. But I really don't understand why you would want your spine in front of the ball with any club longer than say a 7i.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:39 PM

I thought your spine stayed in line with the ball regardless of club no?
Old 10-17-2007, 07:32 PM

I've been working on Jim Hardy's one plane swing all summer with a teaching pro. I've adopted a bit of the stack and tilt that Hardy says himself doesn't change any of the fundamentals he preaches, and fits right in line with what he teaches. I posted a video a while ago, but have since got some better quality videos. I'm going to head over to You tube right now and I'll post the link in a second.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:42 PM

I actually gave this a good month of range/playing and I have to say I did see an increase in my consistency with my irons but when I picked up my woods and driver my consistency went down. As of now I have gone a different route and started studying Woods/Hogan stroke types and it seems to work better for my all around game from where i'm at currently. Although I have some habits from the stack n tilt that I haven't been able to shake yet while using a different stroke. On my backswing my trailing leg still straightens out (stack and tilt) as opposed to keeping it bent and stable. I am also keeping my feet a little too open from using a stack and tilt. All minor things that I hope i can get rid of and refine.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought your spine stayed in line with the ball regardless of club no?

[/ QUOTE ]

The spine should stay in line with where you want the bottom of the swing to be. With the short irons this is just in front of the ball, with the Driver it's behind the ball. My opinion anyway, everyone has one. FWIW, I agree with the S+T guys in that I don't advocate a lateral shift in the B/S.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:54 AM

My Swing
Old 10-18-2007, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My Swing

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty.