Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Puzzles and Other Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2006, 04:12 PM

Default MAFIA: TURF WARS (GAME THREAD)

<u>Rules</u>

Votes must be in bold. Votes in quote boxes will not count.

Try not to edit your posts. If you must edit the formatting, that's fine. Do not change the content. As an addendum to this, when you bold something, please put an end tag on it. It's very easy, and avoids frustration for others quoting your post, who then have to edit.

If you sign up to play, you will play. If you don't vote in a day period, I will PM you. If you do not respond to that PM, or vote the next day, I will try and find a replacement for you. I'm not going to try &amp; see if you made a post but didn't vote. I'm going to look at empty spots on my vote count. If you have to back out of the game at any time, that's fine, just PM me in advance. If you have a replacement lined up, let me know, it will save me much hassle.

There's no talking at night. We all know this. Try &amp; obvserve this rule.

Dead people can't talk. They occasionally are able to send 1 last PM to the game mod with no strategy information. The game mod reserves the right to post it in the thread or not.

There's no talking outside the thread unless your role specifically allows it. I would prefer dead people didn't discuss the game either, but I know you will. At least try not to discuss the game with the active players.

Non players - please do not post in the thread. Please do not spam the thread with Turbo games. We can all see the sign-up threads, and any players who are interested can go join.

<u>Flow of the Game</u>

For the first two days, I will set a time limit. I'll open the day at 7AM, before I leave for work. I'll close it shortly after 10PM. Obviously, day will end if a majority is reached at any time.

After the first two days, we'll play until a majority is reached. There are 2 reasons I'm doing it like this.

1. I like games where a majority is required. It encourages participation
2. Reaching a majority the first 2 days can be painful. It can also turn people off the game. I hate AFK players, so I'm going to try &amp; avoid this. Hence the time limit days 1 &amp; 2.

Players
Alex Levin
areinitz
Cancer Merchant
DMBFan
Don West
Elevens
Evans67
fishmonger
fnord
GetThere1Time
Hornacek
iron_yuppie
kbar
Kyro
KyrosMom
MDoranD
nicholasp27
pudley
ScottHoward
thebram
tokyo
traz
VR
wdcbooks
zero

Alternates
pistolero
chuckleslovakian
xorbie

I will be sending out PMs this afternoon and this evening. If I don't get your read receipt by Tuesday morning when I post the Intro, I'm going to replace you. That will be early, probably around 7AM, before I go to work. If you want to play, but won't get the PM by then, PM me now. If you won't be playing, also PM me now.

I'll be posting the full set of rules right after this. Any questions should be asked in this thread, so that all players will see it. If you feel a question could give away your role, PM it to me. I'll post any questions sent like this anonymously, with answers.

If you would like to be an alternate, please do not post in this thread. PM me, I'll put you on my list. If you're currently an alternate you may ask a question.

Again, the game is starting May 30, 7AM Eastern time. No game posts until then.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:18 PM

Default Re: MAFIA: TURF WARS (GAME THREAD)

<u>Roles</u>

Cop: There are 2 Cops. Each function as normal, except, once a Cop reveals himself, he can no longer investigate successfully. Undercover cops are useless if the criminals know who they are, yes?

EDIT: Cops, please note this. Once you come out, you are no longer a Cop, just a villager. The first Cop to die or come out passes all his info along to the Deputy, but the second does not.

Deputy: There is 1 Deputy. He does not know who the Cops are. When the first Cop is killed, he will receive all the information that Cop had, and gain the powers of the Cop. Just like the real cops, once he reveals himself, he can no longer investigate.

Mafia: There's two mafia families. They are fighting over the village to gain control of the territory for their illicit activities. Each family will have 3 members. They will know the other members of their own family, but not of the other. They will be able to communicate outside the thread at night only. When the mafia chooses a target at night, they must also choose which of them will do the killing.

Prostitutes: There will be 2 Prostitutes. Each will be associated with a mafia family. They will know who each member of their family is, and can communicate with them at night. Each night, they discuss a target with their mafia family. Whoever they choose to target will not be able to perform their action that night.

So, if they find the Cop, he will not get his look that night. Instead, he will arrest the Prostitute, and she'll spend the night in jail. The other Cop (if still alive) will find out she's the Prostitute, but will not find out the Cop. The Prostitute will be PM'd that she was arrested. The Cop will be PM'd that he arrested the Prostitute, and who it was. If the Prostitute is investigated by the Cop, she is also arrested, and whatever other target she had that night is left alone.

If the Prostitute is sent after the member of the opposition mafia that is assigned to their kill, she will block their night kill.

If a Prostitute is with the person who is being killed by the opposition mafia, there is a small chance she will be killed also. If not killed, she will be revealed as the Prostitute. The killer will also be revealed.

Every night, the Prostitute must act. If no target is submitted by the Prostitute, I will assign one at random.

Richard Gere: A rich villager. This villager will know who he is. If he is targeted by the Prostitute, she will fall in love with him, and he with her. The Prostitute will be PM'd this fact, and then becomes a regular villager. She swears off her criminal past, and reveals to her new partner all the remaining members of her mafia family. This will be done by me, in PM form. The Prostitute &amp; Richard Gere cannot communicate outside the thread at all. There is only one Richard Gere character.

Doctor Bag: This will be a unique twist on the Doctor role. Thanks to Elevens for the inspiration. It will work like this. The first night, I will randomly provide Doctor protection to 1 villager. The next night, he will list 2 people he would like protected. I will randomly select 1 of them. Every night after that, the person who was protected will send me a PM containing 2 names. I will give it to the first person on their list unless that person is the last holder of the bag. Then it goes to person #2.

If the current holder of the bag is lynched, the bag is out of the game. Any role (after the first night) could receive protection. I will not stop it going to a Mafia family. The Doctor's Bag does not conflict in any way with the Prostitute role, so a prostitute will not stop the bag from being moved.

<u>Winning Conditions</u>

Villagers: All mafia, from both families are dead. This does not count the Prostitutes.

Mafia: All members of the opposition mafia are dead, and they have an equal number of mafia &amp; villagers. The Prostitute counts as mafia for numbers in this scenario. They do not need to kill the opposition Prostitute. So, if there is 2 mafia A vs 1 villager vs Prostitute B, Mafia A wins.

Cop/Deputy/Richard Gere: Wins with the village.

There are 25 players, with this distribution:

3 Soprano Mafia
3 Corleone Mafia
1 Soprano Prostitute
1 Corleone Prostitute
2 Cops
1 Deputy
1 Richard Gere
13 Villagers
Old 05-26-2006, 04:55 PM

Question re: The Bag

If I will be passing the bag to someone else that night, and I am lynched, the bag exits the game, if I understand you correctly. (Meaning I was protected the night before.)

Do I know this while playing that day?
Old 05-26-2006, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Question re: The Bag

If I will be passing the bag to someone else that night, and I am lynched, the bag exits the game, if I understand you correctly. (Meaning I was protected the night before.)

Do I know this while playing that day?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I will send a PM in the morning to the person who was protected the night before. They will know they have the bag, and that it will be gone if they're lynched.

They'll also have all day to think about who to send it to.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:01 PM

Will the player who is protected by the bag know if an attempt was made on their life? Will they know who attempted to kill them? If the prostitute is with that player is she protected too?
Old 05-26-2006, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Will the player who is protected by the bag know if an attempt was made on their life? Will they know who attempted to kill them? If the prostitute is with that player is she protected too?

[/ QUOTE ]

No
No
Yes
Old 05-26-2006, 05:09 PM

A question was posed to me in private:

"When can the mafia talk outside the thread."

Only at night, please. I'll try to leave you enough time to discuss your plans for that night/the next day.

Also, Mafia &amp; Prostitutes can start talking now, until the game starts Tuesday morning. You've got all weekend to come up with an overall strategy.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:15 PM

One concern about the bag. If people PM you two names and you give it to one of those two, assuming it doesn't go to who had it the night before - that still doesn't stop a Mafia family from keeping it in the family.

Mafia A gets bag
DOWHILE Mafia has bag
Mafia A list Mafia B and Mafia C --&gt; bag goes to Mafia B
Mafia B lists Mafia A and Mafia C --&gt; bag goes to Mafia C
Mafia C list Mafia A and Mafia B --&gt; bag goes to Mafia A
END DO

Am I missing something?? I think you need 4 names, if you also want to eliminate the prostitute getting in on the act? No pun intended...
Old 05-26-2006, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One concern about the bag. If people PM you two names and you give it to one of those two, assuming it doesn't go to who had it the night before - that still doesn't stop a Mafia family from keeping it in the family.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's right, it doesn't. It's not intended to keep it out of the hands of a full family.

This is something that is a slight advantage to the village, but it requires smart play by the village, as a whole. The first person to receive it has to spot somebody smart to pass it on to, who is also a villager. I think with 2 cops, a deputy &amp; Richard Gere, this is pretty close to balanced, but I like the idea of the strategy behind keeping the bag out of mafia hands.

I also like the possibilities offered to the Mafia in terms of strategy.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:32 PM

Can Richard Gere have two lovers? [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]