Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 10:50 PM

Default Teacher student situation at college

Just today one of my friends had something quite odd happen to him at a pretty well respected university that he attends. From what I understand, he was sitting in class while the instructor was lecturing and had his textbook open and was looking at it. Supposedly the teacher asks the class a question and while waiting for someone to answer it, she glances over, sees my friend looking in his book and assumes he isn't paying attention. She throws a piece of chalk across the room which grazes his cheek and hits the blackboard behind him. He asks the instructior if she just threw chalk at him and she says something to the effect of yes because you weren't paying attention. He then left the class without saying anything else and reported it to campus security who took down a report and will apparently will take it to the dean on Monday (because of the thanksgiving break).

Has something similar ever happened to anyone here? What kind of legal action, if any, could be taken? He now has to wait the entire weekend to figure this out and he his wondering what is going to happen. All replies are appreciated.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:56 PM

Default Re: Teacher student situation at college

[ QUOTE ]
Just today one of my friends had something quite odd happen to him at a pretty well respected university that he attends. From what I understand, he was sitting in class while the instructor was lecturing and had his textbook open and was looking at it. Supposedly the teacher asks the class a question and while waiting for someone to answer it, she glances over, sees my friend looking in his book and assumes he isn't paying attention. She throws a piece of chalk across the room which grazes his cheek and hits the blackboard behind him. He asks the instructior if she just threw chalk at him and she says something to the effect of yes because you weren't paying attention. He then left the class without saying anything else and reported it to campus security who took down a report and will apparently will take it to the dean on Monday (because of the thanksgiving break).

Has something similar ever happened to anyone here? What kind of legal action, if any, could be taken? He now has to wait the entire weekend to figure this out and he his wondering what is going to happen. All replies are appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

In middle school one of my science teachers would wake students up who were sleeping by throwing an eraser at them. When that failed to discourage my napping he sprayed the fire extinguisher at me. Then he gave up.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:58 PM

This seems like a complete non-story to me. I have had teachers in high school who threw chalk at kids and mostly thought it was funny. A prof I had in college suppsedly threw a book at some kid during a heated debate. I think that would have been funny to see.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:00 PM

Legal action? Are you/ is he serious???
Old 11-21-2007, 11:03 PM

Weird. I don't get that mentality. I used to bring my laptop to this one class and just dick around, not being loud or disturbing or anything, just minding my own business. And before one of the classes the whore rudely walked up to me and told me to "Shut it down, or LEAVE!" So I left.

I don't really get it. It's college. Are they less offended by the chunk of the class who doesn't even show up?

That said, I think it would be a pretty petty thing to press legal charges over. Not that there isn't a case, technically. I guess she did throw something at him. It just seems pretty minor and petty, and he'd be one of those people looking for any reason to sue. The bigger issue is the lack of professionalism, and I think he should definitely pursue this and make the school take some sort of action. A public apology in front of the class, with maybe a dean or something present would probably be a good punishment.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:08 PM

Wah wah, someone hurt my feeling, lets sue!

Kids these days are getting mega weak.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your friend sounds like the lamest dude ever.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:28 PM

throwing stuff at people especially in a mean way is not adult behavior.

middle school/high school is not a bunch of adults though.

but university is all adults. so good for your friend. the sooner he learns to stand up for himself and not let people take advantage of him, the better.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:30 PM

Misleading thread title; thought this would be about some kind of sexual relationship between a professor and a student. Terribly disappointing.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Legal action? It would be both legal and reasonable to quit being a bitch.