Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will you do if they reinstate the draft?
Enlist happily and fight for my country. 21 14.00%
F that, this war is stupid. 40 26.67%
Move to Mexico or Canada 36 24.00%
BASTARD!! 53 35.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-2007, 10:54 PM

Default Re: ***yankees official offseason thread*****

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Mo will probably sign a 2 year deal... in my original post i implied signing nathan for 2009 season and have him be setup guy for mo's final season... if he gets paid big i don't see why he wouldn't agree to this

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to share some examples of established closers signing elsewhere to pitch as a set up guy?

[/ QUOTE ]

it'd only be for one season...and mariano is regarded as the best ever... it's not that big of a sacrafice since it's only one year

[/ QUOTE ]

Tom Gordon.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:06 PM

lol @ you guys comparing Nathan to Flash Gordon and Kyle Farnsworth. You're living in fantasy land.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:20 PM

Trade Damon..im sure if u really want to u can do it. Plus he was requesting one midseason so not like he'd be against it.

Abreu/Matsui/Cabrera in outfield

Bench Giambi or have him platoon DH w/ Bonds w/ Giambi occasionally playing 1st.

1. Cano
2. Jeter
3. Abreu
4. Bonds
5. Matsui
6. Posada
7. Giambi
8. Betemi
9. Melky
Old 10-29-2007, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol @ you guys comparing Nathan to Flash Gordon and Kyle Farnsworth. You're living in fantasy land.

[/ QUOTE ]

I LOL'd hard when I read those two answers.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you wanted him to name an established closer who went somewhere else to set up

i did

i never compared him to nathan. ever

btw i think that signing nathan thing is silly and would never happen, but was excited to answer your question
Old 10-29-2007, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Mo will probably sign a 2 year deal... in my original post i implied signing nathan for 2009 season and have him be setup guy for mo's final season... if he gets paid big i don't see why he wouldn't agree to this

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to share some examples of established closers signing elsewhere to pitch as a set up guy?

[/ QUOTE ]

it'd only be for one season...and mariano is regarded as the best ever... it's not that big of a sacrafice since it's only one year

[/ QUOTE ]

so the NY will have two relievers that cost them over 20m a season in 08. nice.

also why is anybody thinking rivera is going to sign a two year deal? did he actually say that? if he didnt, then its a moronic assumption.

[/ QUOTE ]

It wouldn't be bad at all if they continued to perform at the level of Nathan and Rivera. Keep in mind, they paid Rivera and Farnsworth $15.75MM in 2007 for deals that were signed in a much more friendly market for the team. Spending $25MM/yr on two alpha relievers is exactly what the Yankees should be trying to do.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

It's hard to believe the Twins won't trade Santana even if it's just a trade deadline deal.

If Santana is traded before the 2008 season, then it will definitely come with a 4-7 year extension. If it happens mid-season, it's not as clear.

I'm sure the Twins would want the team to sign Santana to the extension. That would help them get a better deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

why would santana agree to this? he gets much better money in the offseason as a FA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, Santana isn't going to sign a deal for less than maket value.

Plenty of player sign long term deals without actually becoming free agents. If Santana gets a good deal, why wouldn't he do it?
Old 10-29-2007, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

It's hard to believe the Twins won't trade Santana even if it's just a trade deadline deal.

If Santana is traded before the 2008 season, then it will definitely come with a 4-7 year extension. If it happens mid-season, it's not as clear.

I'm sure the Twins would want the team to sign Santana to the extension. That would help them get a better deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

why would santana agree to this? he gets much better money in the offseason as a FA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, Santana isn't going to sign a deal for less than maket value.

Plenty of player sign long term deals without actually becoming free agents. If Santana gets a good deal, why wouldn't he do it?

[/ QUOTE ]

He also gains the EV he could lose by getting hurt if he signs sooner rather than later.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so the NY will have two relievers that cost them over 20m a season in 08. nice.

also why is anybody thinking rivera is going to sign a two year deal? did he actually say that? if he didnt, then its a moronic assumption.

[/ QUOTE ]

It wouldn't be bad at all if they continued to perform at the level of Nathan and Rivera. Keep in mind, they paid Rivera and Farnsworth $15.75MM in 2007 for deals that were signed in a much more friendly market for the team. Spending $25MM/yr on two alpha relievers is exactly what the Yankees should be trying to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah that should be a strategy of a team? to have 20m+ anually locked up in 150 innings (tops)?

i mean if for some bizzare reason mariano signs for two (which would be stupid) nathan accepts a non closer position for a year (which i doubt) then yeah its a great idea.

i cant even believe i am discussing this seriously. red sox fans are certainly on par with NYY fans in terms of overall douchebagness but they cant hold a candle to NYY fans when it comes to insane trade/free agent ideas. reality check, not every player cares about being a yankee. and by not every i mean like 99%?

not directed at you RWP, i know your a CWS fan.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:17 AM

Mo is going to sign a 3 year deal.

Nobody, especially a top notch closer, gives a [censored] about being the setup man to an old HOF closer.