Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2007, 01:14 PM

Default Re: SEPTEMBER MONTHLY [CENSORED] THREAD

Cool, I'll get started on it and hopefully have something ready by the end of the weekend.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:13 PM

Window of Opportunity

I learned Post Workout Nutrition from this article. I would assume your advice is right in line with it, but am still interested in hearing your take on PW nutrition.

If you wouldn't mind taking a look at the article and discussing your opinions on it.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:03 PM

This month I've been tinkering with my routine which is pretty much endurance training in running and swimming and PT so I dont burn out.

PT which for me is supersets of pullups, sit-ups and pushups-is really tough.

I've done PT then go do an "easy run" and my times are much slower after doing the PT-by like minute or minute and a half per mile pace. PT also tightens up your chests, triceps ..I can even feel it in my legs which unless you do regular stretching can really hinder the ease of your swim stroke and make your swim workouts gruelling. I usually do ~15K meters or 15K yards weekly depending on what pool I swim at.

I was doing PT 6 days a week-only takes 20-25 minutes per workout I either do it in my gym or at a local park which has a pull-up bar. I then cut back to M,W,F because it was killing my swimming--I asked my Master's swim coach about it and he said I need to stretch more. Anyways 3 times weekly isnt enough I'm finding out for me to progress with my PT goals ie more sets of more pushups and pullups(dips to be added soon)the situps are easy-I do ab classes twice weekly. So looks like 2 days on/1 day off will be the trick for PT.

Running is really improving up to 15-18 miles a week, my training is all heart-rate monitor based I like to get up ~30 miles weekly. I always follow tough runs either faster tempo runs or longer distance runs with easy runs keeping my hr sub 70%. I still need to build my base to do real speed work. I also have been stretching ~5 minutes before each run and ~10 minutes after each run and walking one mile after each and every run. Walking and combining swimming in overall workout definelty makes it easier to avoid running injuries imo. I also have been running in a local park where the surface is a winding sand/dirt packed surface which is good for my legs. Problem is place is populated by total geezers and is flat. I'm going to start to mix in running on a local bridge loop which is concrete-which is much tougher on you legs but this brige loop has hills which make it good for improving leg strenght and transitioning over to speed work in the future. Anyways I will be careful and mix in the runs on harder surface slowly. I do have a history of nasty plantar fascis. The post run walks and stretching after each run have really helped with any type of pain from running.

Looking back on my 5K times I ran back when I lived around AC playing B&M poker for a living my average time was ~7:30 pace but that was 12 years ago ..and I was 32 not 44 like now. Anyways I'm doing a bunch of 5k's coming up next month. I hope to run ~8:15 by the last one but may have to be happy w/ only 8:45 pace on my first race in 10 days... all I have to do is run regularly w/speed work and my running will come back.

My goal in this program is to mantain my swimming, improve strength w/PT and improve my running so I can do better in triathlons.. I'd like to do a marathon and some 10K's and then get back into full triathlon training..w/ some PT and strenght training. I really need to focus on running.

You'd think with all this aerobic activity my weight would be coming done but I've actually gained. Swimming has never taken weight off me but running used to. I've gone from 173 to 178 definetly with a lower bodyfat%.

PT and running thu have added noticeable muscle to my frame. I also am eating more.
One habit I need to break is eating late at night and then crashing.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:11 PM

Rocky Road ON Whey does not tastes like whats the word......dicks
Old 09-28-2007, 04:18 PM

i am going to start keeping my diet in check

seriously

tomorrow

maybe
Old 09-28-2007, 04:22 PM

whatever fatty
Old 09-29-2007, 04:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Rocky Road ON Whey does not tastes like whats the word......dicks

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, its awful. The limited edition milk chocolate is good though.

The article you linked is very good, if not a bit too complicated. The guys at ABC are very smart and I respect the hell out of them. They have some great articles on training for those who are more advanced.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:27 PM

Full powerlift meet today
Squat
210 3 - 0 10 kg PR
230 2 - 1 30 kg PR
240 miss somehow blocked on the way down

Bench
170 didnt press it, almost fainted
170 got rerack after 30 seconds or so, unrack and misses
170 3 - 0 rocket, seriously didnt feel the weight

Deadlift
175 3 - 0
200 miss
200 miss

200 in DL was way to heavy for me today...

And now ½ a year without powerlifting meets, because Im going to be in Thailand for said amount of time.