Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2007, 01:28 AM

Default Rule addition to cut down on diving/fake injuuries in soccer

I rarely watch the beautiful game, but I've seen at least half a dozen or so in the last couple weeks of the U-20 tourney. As a typical N. American fan I find the diving/acting/BS'ing horribly excessive which detracts a ton from the actual play - which has been excellent in some cases (especially the Brazil-Spain game right now).

Anyone like these extremely simple changes to cut down on diving/delay of game?

If a player lies on the ground apparently injured for > 10 seconds (whenever the ref. sees him can be the start point), then the player must spend at least 5 minutes on the sidelines.

If a player is carried off the field in a stretcher, then he must spend 10 minutes on the sidelines.

In either case if the player wants to come back on right away he can take a yellow card, or a substitution can be made immediately.

Now neither of these will eliminate dives, but they will almost completely eliminate fake injuries. Typical situation: player gets tackled, rolls on the ground for 30 seconds, trainers come out and rub his ankle, load him on the stretcher and take him off-all taking several minutes while everyone on the field gets a drink. Literally 30 seconds later he limps onto the field. 30 seconds after that he is sprinting down the sidelines.

Make the disincentive for doing that [censored] strong enough and the delay of game aspect will be gone.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:12 AM

Default Re: Rule addition to cut down on diving/fake injuuries in soccer

this thread is retarded

messi got a yellow card for "diving" today and was the most ridiciulous yellow i ever seen as he shot right back up after he fell and continued tyo chase the ball and the ref proceeded to give him a card anyway
Old 07-12-2007, 07:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this thread is retarded

messi got a yellow card for "diving" today and was the most ridiciulous yellow i ever seen as he shot right back up after he fell and continued tyo chase the ball and the ref proceeded to give him a card anyway

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't see the play, but doesn't the fact that he got right up afterwards lend more credibility to the ref's case that it was a dive?
Old 07-12-2007, 09:16 AM

but what if u are injured? then the team that injures gets an advantage.
the difficulty is judging wheteher a player is generally injured, and no1 has worked out how refs can do so yet, particularly the [censored] cunting english [censored] refs that do [censored] [censored] week [censored] in week [censored] out
Old 07-12-2007, 11:39 AM

I believe there have recently been some retroactive suspensions for really egregious faking. I want to say it was in the Premier League, but I can only vaguely recall. Can someone help me out with this, does this actually happen, or am I miss remembering something. If it does I think this is a pretty good way to do it. But it has to be really obvious, because it hard to tell how even the slightest contact effects the players.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:51 AM

op, good ideas. make total sense.

lm, have you ever played sports? have you ever been knocked to the ground yet uninjured?

ledders, if the player is injured he can be subbed immediately. quite simple.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:52 AM

kinda like the football rule that a stoppage in time due to injury means that player has to sit out the next play. I like it.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
this thread is retarded

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't see the play, but doesn't the fact that he got right up afterwards lend more credibility to the ref's case that it was a dive?

[/ QUOTE ]

he fell to avoid the contact that guy was about to sweep his leg then instead of staying down whining he got right back up proof that he isnt a faker and plays 100% and continues the play anyway
Old 07-12-2007, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
kinda like the football rule that a stoppage in time due to injury means that player has to sit out the next play. I like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to hijack, but the NFL rule is way too lax. One play is not nearly enough of a deterrent to stop guys from faking injuries against a hurry-up offense.

It should have been changed years ago when Willie McGinnest blatantly faked an injury against the Colts and then made the game ending tackle at the goal line seconds later, and celebrated by sprinting to midfield. The most interesting part of it was that in the reply of the "injury" you could see Ty Law faking an injury as well but then he suddenly stops when he realizes that McGinnest is already doing it, making it clear that the Patriots had been coached to abuse this rule.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to hijack, but the NFL rule is way too lax. One play is not nearly enough of a deterrent to stop guys from faking injuries against a hurry-up offense.

It should have been changed years ago when Willie McGinnest blatantly faked an injury against the Colts and then made the game ending tackle at the goal line seconds later, and celebrated by sprinting to midfield. The most interesting part of it was that in the reply of the "injury" you could see Ty Law faking an injury as well but then he suddenly stops when he realizes that McGinnest is already doing it, making it clear that the Patriots had been coached to abuse this rule.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are charged a time-out under 2 minutes if you are injured, fake or not. If you are out of timeouts I think they run time off the clock or something to stop this. Ie. this isn't an option anymore.

I agree with OP here. I find it completely insane that some of these guys roll around on the ground, holding their leg, get carried off on a stretcher, get to the sideline hop off and immediately come in, not even limping. IMO if you get carried off on a stretcher, you are done for the game. They should be allowed to assess your injury clearly, but much like the nfl, if the come out to the field you are done for at least 1 play. In the nfl that represents about 1/60th of the total game, so you should miss some appropriate amount of the soccer game as well. One of the reasons american fans hate soccer in general is the flopping.