Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2006, 10:19 AM

Default Re: I am tapped

I really couldn't stand to finish reading your entire post.

But from what I read, it seems you really have no clue at all. You play games delierously underfunded and so far have luckboxed a LOT.

You sound an awful like an idiot sitting next to me at Commerce's $9-18 table last weekend. He kept talking about how he was staked in that game and if he got $500 he was going to play $20-40. LOFL! $500 is like one or two hands at Commerce's $20-40.

Keep playing understaked and poker will make you its
b$%ch.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:24 PM

Don't be so hard on the guy. Learning to be patient with your bankroll and to control your emotions are two of the hardest things for a beginning player. When I started playing i dumped $500 into party and played 5/10 o8. Oops. Granted, most people learn their lesson a little sooner...
Old 08-09-2006, 04:47 PM

I have a very hard time believing any of this story is true, simply because the swings involved are so ridiculous.

If it's not just a fish story, then the player here needs more than just "you're an addicted gambler" talks. He really needs to learn how to play poker -- a major component of which is risk-management and playing only in situations which are appropriate to your bankroll. Beyond that, I simply don't believe that any player would achieve upswings like this without putting a lot of money on very bad play -- and this goes double if the player in question is only 18 years old.

Word to the wise, kid: every player thinks he's "ready to go pro" when he's running exceptionally well. But one of the things that separates a real pro from a lucky amateur is the ability to recognize the difference between merely running well and actually playing well. From what you've posted, you need to study up on this concept -- a lot. That, and bankroll management.

Anyway, I don't mean this as attacking or criticism, just an honest assessment (which I presume you were inviting by posting this). Best of luck to you, and I hope you're able to learn from this experience and build something positive out of it, wherever you go from here.

q/q
Old 08-09-2006, 05:46 PM

i didnt read it all because it was exremely boring, and i dont know what the point is so i prescribe:
1) stop masterbating
2) stop gambling
3) get a job
4) get a trade
5) leave america for 4 years.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ok, see you at the tables next week.

But seriously- gl with quitting.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-09-2006, 06:44 PM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

[ QUOTE ]
I have a very hard time believing any of this story is true, simply because the swings involved are so ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the biggest fish at Ceasar's IN, sat in the PLO with a grand and alledgedly cashed out $35,000. It will all return to the poker economy eventually, excepting the highly unlikely event that he quits poker forever.

You may e correct and the OP is BS but the swings are possible.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:05 PM

Very simple rule for people with bad money mangement skills: Never put more than 5% of your roll on a table. As your roll shrinks during a session, stop rebuying and move down immediately once you hit that threshold.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:42 PM

I don't think anyone is shocked by this at all.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:51 PM

I'm shocked he got lucky enough at limit to turn 12 BB into serious cash. what a heater jeez...
Old 08-10-2006, 12:53 AM

I'm very glad I won't have to deal with you playing heads up at every table 5/10-30/60 on Stars ALL THE FREAKING TIME.