Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2006, 07:25 PM

Default Re: I am tapped

Absolutely. It doesn't sound like you're cut out for poker.

Money management is a real problem for most people with steady day jobs, much less poker players, and money management is critical for poker.

Ask 100 poker-playing college students if they're capable of managing their money and dealing with downswings, and 99 of them will look at you like you're insane, of course they are. It's something they have to discover on their own.

A hard lesson, but a good one, on the fragility of success.

I wish you luck and success. It's a big world out there; poker is a grain of sand on the beach.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:05 AM

Sorry but that 1/2 game at tston was a bad game to sit at as soon as tongni sat down.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:28 AM

I really felt sorry for you all throughout this post. best of luck (i mean it).
Old 08-08-2006, 01:34 AM

Man, sucks. IMO, after reading this post, I would say that you are likely a degenerate gambler.

Moving up too quickly will kill you. Running hot then facing a cooler is devastating.

Good luck in the future. If you ever do plan on returning, I suggest you approach poker with a more professional attitude. Meaning, putting in time to evaluate hands, not playing outside your BR, etc.

Good luck.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is why adolescents shouldn't play poker. Self control and emotional stability are sorely lacking.

I count adolescent as anyone under about 25. There are exceptions of course, but poker is just a terrible thing to do to a person still trying to achive emotional maturity.

[/ QUOTE ]

This will fall on deaf ears but I agree completely.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So, goodbye 2+2 forums, I will be removing you from my bookmarks...I will not be watching poker on TV, I will not be talking about poker with my friends, and I will not be playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your whole story sounds frighteningly similar to my own, except that i have managed to get real with myself and drop down and grind it out (still in progress) ... Also, I think that what you said above will be the hardest to do... I actually decided to quit poker after going off for 19k at 10/25NL in Vegas... I just decided that I was reacting too harshly to the swings, and that if I played within my br I could still do it successfully...

I had made my whole life poker, which is why it was so hard to walk away from... I have almost resigned myself to the fact that I probably will never fully quit poker... It is a game that I love and for the time being it is a fantastic way to make good money, which is great cuz i am a lazy [censored]...

I really hope that you are successful in quitting b/c I know quite well the emotional turmoil that poker can put you through... I don't know how much luck you are gonna have completely shutting down such a huge part of your life...
Old 08-08-2006, 03:29 PM

Another bit of evidence for the complete elimination of online poker.

Yours truly,

Senator Jon Kyl
Old 08-09-2006, 01:01 AM

Owww. That was painful just to read. I hope you are able to stay away from poker because it sounds like you could eventually do real damage to your life if you try to keep playing.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:12 AM

by definition this player is not a winning player. Winning players posess the emotional fotitude to manage their bankroll properly and stay level headed in the face of drawdown.

This player writes "I really thought I could go pro, but I just don't have the emotional stability required."

This player gets the learning that he created for himself in this dramatic episode. Because of this experience this player may go on to win in his non-poker life. But the damage that he has done to himself phsycologically surrounding poker will require a lot of work to undo. When drawdown starts these emotions will present themselves and the player will not be able to properly play. The player is best advised to move on with his life.

This brings up another point, that being... To be a winning, high stakes player one must encounter player's such as this. The winning high stakes player must set aside any sympathy or emotional empathy that he may have for this player, and must spend massive amounts of time with people that he neither cares about nor respects.

Peace
Blazman
Old 08-09-2006, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Moving up too quickly will kill you.

[/ QUOTE ]

At least I don't have to worry about that.

Ian (grinding away at 10c/20c)

To the OP: Seriously: A fascinating but painful read. It's just a shame you don't have the emotional control to match your obviously high poker skills.

All the best in the future.