Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2007, 07:54 AM

Default What is happening?

Hi, I was wondering if someone has had an alike experience like myself:

I'm generally a winning player. I crush live games, and do well on the internet (have cashed out 750$ after depositing 50$ earlier, running NL10). I'm only 18 years old, however, and don't have too much pocketchange to deposit, so I've put in around 200-300$. Around 2 weeks ago, I deposit 250$, I ran well for a few days, built it up from 250$ to 400$ on NL10 in 3-4 days, before a friend asked me to send him some money on Stars.

I hesitated, but he's a close friend, so I thought, what the hell, I'll just win it back anyway, and sent him 50$. He blew it pretty quickly, and asked for more. I sent him another 50$. After those 100$ were gone, I started thinking only about winning back what I had 'lost', and didn't play as well as I usually do, and also bought into some 20$ tournaments (with a bankroll on 300~), and started running bad.

I felt like I got involved with a tons of badbeats; three outers and two outers happened to me frequently late in tournaments, and I felt like I was the unluckiest guy in the world. I ran down to less than 200$ - and frankly, I have no idea where the rest of it ended.

So I was wondering, have anyone had any experiences remotely close to what I have? Does sending away hard earned money (poker-wise), really hurt my psychology that bad?

It was only 250$ I lost really, so economically it's not a big deal. But I still thought it sucked, since I was eager to build a bankroll on NL10. Though, I guess I should mention, that I lost most of it on S&G and MTTs.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:20 AM

Default Re: What is happening?

i really dont know what youre asking so im going to throw it out there that you should practice bankroll management in terms of sngs and mtts not just cash games. also, you really only lost 150 if you include the 150 that your friend owes you.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:48 AM

Default Re: What is happening? *DELETED*

Post deleted by chesspain
Old 09-30-2007, 11:04 AM

It sounds like a bad run after a good run.

Its just variance and will end. But u do sound like u need more experience.

Gl neway and dont listen to dicks like Bike.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:48 PM

Busting out of a few tournaments to two and three outers is nothing. You haven't run bad until you've had to deal with that crap for weeks and months on end. Try losing to a few runner runner straights and gutshot straight flushes over a short period of time and see if you can still keep your sanity . If you play long enough, these things are going to happen. Try not to let it get to you.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:56 PM

Thanks for the replies. I know I've had a bad run - I've gotten my money in when I'm a clear favorite, yet lost. But the point is, do you guys think that sending away money from a hard-earned bankroll does something to your psyche? I just felt it sucked, seeing my roll down 100$ even when I played really well.

I'm going to keep playing cashgames - seems like there's less variance in it. Or perhaps I'm not a good tournament player - I just hate pushing with squad to get blinds - always scared of busting out.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But the point is, do you guys think that sending away money from a hard-earned bankroll does something to your psyche? I just felt it sucked, seeing my roll down 100$ even when I played really well.

[/ QUOTE ]
"Seeing my roll go down $100 when I played really well" can happen even when you don't send out money to friends, and it can easily mess up your mind. I don't think it has to do with the sending-away part.