Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2007, 06:49 PM

Default Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Leaked

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I thought it got a little slow through the middle parts but overall was a good read. Last 300 pages were amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I felt the middle part dragged a bit too.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="white"> I don't really agree with this. Sure the middle parts were protracted, but I felt that was necessary. How can you really convey the desperate/friendless/alone vibe without putting some time into it? The part from them leaving the wedding to Ron destroying the locket was excellent, IMO.

Also agree that Snape was not nearly as unforgiveable a character as Draco. If he were it would be because he got Harry's parents killed, not because of Dumbledore.</font>
Old 07-22-2007, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Spoiler Question

<font color="white"> 1. Does it ever say how Dumbeldore defeated Grindenwald even though Grindy had the Elder Wand. This was supposed to be impossible since they could never lose a duel... </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="white">
A.The wand did not consider him it's owner
B.It's only a legend conserning it's unbeatable status
C.Dumbledore&gt;Elder Wand
</font>
Old 07-22-2007, 07:00 PM

<font color="white"> If cant forgive Snape its because you didnt read the book. I started to think snape was good when they talked about Neville and Ginnys punishment being that they had to go work with Hadgrid. Malfoy is forgivable b/c he was never really evil. He never had it in him to commit murder.

I dont disagree that the middle wasnt important overall, but its like you are waiting for something to happen for them to begin to fight and they just keep sitting there. Maybe thats just me wanting to root for them, but thats how I felt.

I thought the Dumbledore angle was interesting because we/I always saw him as not getting the justice he deserves especially in the newer movies. I guess its their idea to not make him "perfect" and that was expanded on a lot in this book. It makes a lot of sense now when Dumbledore would tell Harry that he wasnt worth as much as Harry.

I think the ending may have originally be written to allow Harry to die. Whether she actually struggled to decide if he should live or die I dont know, but man I dont think anybody who has read all of the series and seen the movies could not be broken up inside as he opens the snitch to see death with his friends/family. Ill admit I had to take a break from reading it then. </font>
Old 07-22-2007, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Spoiler Question

<font color="white"> 1. Does it ever say how Dumbeldore defeated Grindenwald even though Grindy had the Elder Wand. This was supposed to be impossible since they could never lose a duel... </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="white">
A.The wand did not consider him it's owner
B.It's only a legend conserning it's unbeatable status
C.Dumbledore&gt;Elder Wand
</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="white"> Also remember that from all the stories of the Hallows, the wand was the weakest of the three. It gave those who used it the ability to dominate, but it gave them overconfidence as well. Dumbledore was the first person to somewhat tame it for use. And it was never impossible to beat as history showed that it owners had lost quite a few battles. </font>
Old 07-22-2007, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="white"> If cant forgive Snape its because you didnt read the book. I started to think snape was good when they talked about Neville and Ginnys punishment being that they had to go work with Hadgrid. Malfoy is forgivable b/c he was never really evil. He never had it in him to commit murder.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="white"> Yeah Snape is WAY greater than Malfoy. Snape did most of his evil deeds while working as a second agent putting himself at great danger. Malfoy is a coward. I've always suspected he was good (it would be pretty weak if he wasn't). At the start when Snape revealed the date but not the multiple-potters plan I was pretty confident he'd be good. Seemed weird to know one but not the other.

As a side-note at this point I did like the comment from Harry's point of view about the others not being careful to protect his modesty (or something along those lines) in the Dursley's kitchen. Then I started thinking about how Hermione probably checked out Harry's Goods. Then the sexual-deviant in me wondered about how there was probably a large polyjuice-potion sex-trade in the Wizarding world. Think about it, hot men and women could make millions by selling strands of hair to ugly people. Anyway...

[ QUOTE ]

I dont disagree that the middle wasnt important overall, but its like you are waiting for something to happen for them to begin to fight and they just keep sitting there. Maybe thats just me wanting to root for them, but thats how I felt.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also agree it was very important, just slightly slow.

[ QUOTE ]

I thought the Dumbledore angle was interesting because we/I always saw him as not getting the justice he deserves especially in the newer movies. I guess its their idea to not make him "perfect" and that was expanded on a lot in this book. It makes a lot of sense now when Dumbledore would tell Harry that he wasnt worth as much as Harry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two things I really like about these books is about how real they are. None of the characters are perfect in any way. Also, the war comes across as a war simply because she's willing to kill off people, and not just yellow-shirts.

<font color="black"> You have to love a thread where there's nothing in black.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Spoilers:

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="white"> I expected more kills to be honest, even one of the three main characters. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="white"> Snape had to be the major death. Obv he wasn't evil because of all the discussion after Book 6, plus Rowling's comments. But even if the characters forgive him for killing Dumbledore, the reader doesn't, so his character could not just live happily ever after. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="white"> Sure his character could have. After all, Malfoy lives.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="white"> Malfoy never did anything that evil and a lot of what he did do was because voldemort would kill him if he didn't </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="white">surely if you let malfoy off the hook for evil things done because he was afraid of voldemort, we can let snape off the hook for killing dumbledore because, ohh, DUMBLEDORE ASKED HIM TO.

I really dont understand how the guy who started this subthread said that we couldnt forgive snape for killing dumbledore.</font>

[/ QUOTE ]
<font color="white">
Yes but you still can't take away the blame he's given for the killing of harry's parents by telling voldemort about the prophecy. He's only sorry because he wanted to bone lily.</font>
Old 07-22-2007, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Spoilers:

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="white"> I expected more kills to be honest, even one of the three main characters. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="white"> Snape had to be the major death. Obv he wasn't evil because of all the discussion after Book 6, plus Rowling's comments. But even if the characters forgive him for killing Dumbledore, the reader doesn't, so his character could not just live happily ever after. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="white"> Malfoy never did anything that evil and a lot of what he did do was because voldemort would kill him if he didn't </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="white">surely if you let malfoy off the hook for evil things done because he was afraid of voldemort, we can let snape off the hook for killing dumbledore because, ohh, DUMBLEDORE ASKED HIM TO.

I really dont understand how the guy who started this subthread said that we couldnt forgive snape for killing dumbledore.</font>

[/ QUOTE ]
<font color="white">
I started this subthread. There is courtroom guilt/innocence and there is literary guilt/innocence. It doesn't matter how a court would weigh Snape/Malfoy, the point is that SNAPE KILLED Dumbledore, and Dumbledore was Yoda for 6 books. Dumbledore is the guy on the Tshirts and killing him is unforgivable. From a literary standpoint, he is not allowed to live after killing the main character's mentor. </font>
Old 07-22-2007, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Spoilers:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
<font color="white">
I started this subthread. There is courtroom guilt/innocence and there is literary guilt/innocence. It doesn't matter how a court would weigh Snape/Malfoy, the point is that SNAPE KILLED Dumbledore, and Dumbledore was Yoda for 6 books. Dumbledore is the guy on the Tshirts and killing him is unforgivable. From a literary standpoint, he is not allowed to live after killing the main character's mentor. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="white"> i agree with disjunction 100%. there was no way snape was going to survive the 7th book. </font>
Old 07-23-2007, 12:11 AM

my brother got a copy on wednesday (a few days early) b/c he preordered it on deepdiscountdvd and they accidentally mailed it early. 15 minutes after he opened up his package he got a call that was like "hey i understand you might have recently got the book. Please do not read the book until saturday (or whatever day the book was released)." And as a thank you/encourage you not to read it gift they sent him a $50 gift card for borders and a harry potter tshirt.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
my brother got a copy on wednesday (a few days early) b/c he preordered it on deepdiscountdvd and they accidentally mailed it early. 15 minutes after he opened up his package he got a call that was like "hey i understand you might have recently got the book. Please do not read the book until saturday (or whatever day the book was released)." And as a thank you/encourage you not to read it gift they sent him a $50 gift card for borders and a harry potter tshirt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Did he read the book?

There's no way I wouldn't read it, although I've never felt the desire to ruin things for other people, so my reading it wouldn't have affected anybody.