Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2007, 12:22 AM

Default How do you experts play this hand on flop, turn and river?

PokerStars
$1/$2

Table 'Sternberga' 6-max Seat #2 is the button

Seat 1: Trolleur ($388.80 in chips)
Seat 2: jimmy lee ($375.25 in chips)
Seat 4: Shakari11 ($1155.75 in chips)

Shakari11: posts small blind $1
Trolleur: posts big blind $2

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Trolleur [Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]

Sodom leaves the table for Rib's house
jimmy lee: calls $2
Shakari11: calls $1
Trolleur: raises $4 to $6 [I was raising with position with any decent hand]
jimmy lee: calls $4
Shakari11: calls $4

*** FLOP *** [2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]

Shakari11: checks
Trolleur: bets $17.10
jimmy lee: folds
Shakari11: raises $51.30 to $68.40 (for some reason I got this feeling that he had an awfully big range here.)
Trolleur: calls $51.30

*** TURN *** 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Shakari11: bets $78
Trolleur: calls $78 (Now I just called here because I felt that if I raised all in, I'd only get called if I was truly beat. However, if I didn't hit a full house, on river, I knew I was going to be squirming if he bet)

*** RIVER *** blanks out 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] - and I'm def squirming when he bets.
Shakari11: bets $309.80

Trolleur: ????
Old 04-27-2007, 01:33 AM

Default Re: How do you experts play this hand on flop, turn and river?

Interesting hand, saucy stacks. What's your read on Shakari? LAG?

Depending on how you and him have been playing, I could like 3-betting the flop here. Just calling is cool I guess.

I'd like a turn raise here too. I'm fine with him folding stuff and you taking down the pot. I also think you'll be ahead of weaker 9's some of the time too. Plus, like you said you're in a tough spot if you don't fill on the river and he fires again.

River is tough. No draws came in and he's been the aggressor in the hand so it's likely he fires again. He probably doesn't think you have a hand as strong as trip 9's. Hard to say what to do without knowing how the game has been playing.

Good hand to post, I'm pretty indecisive on it right now. I'll have to think about it more.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Good hand to post, I'm pretty indecisive on it right now. I'll have to think about it more.

[/ QUOTE ]

My read on him:
Well he was raising a ton, pretty much every hand that came to him, even some in the blinds. Wasn't folding too many. But then post flop he wasn't crazy anymore, but definitely willing to gambol.

How he might view me:
I played a couple of previous hands with him, one where I was OOP with AAQQ, flop was Q56 with heart flush draw. I checked raised him on flop, he called. Turn was a 4 completing a straight, I pushed and he thought for a while, then folded. Said he had two pair and OES, and thought I was "brave". He guessed I had AA with flush draw FWIW - I had told him what I had.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:41 AM

I think the key decision is on the turn. Turn depends on how gamb00l he is with hands like 356x probably w/spades and also how big his range is preflop and on the flop (which 3 handed is assume is quite large)

My first thought was to jam the turn but I'm not too sure now. The way its played I'd put him on something like 6543 or 5432 probs with spades more than 94xx or 92xx , so that 9 was a solid card. He could be following through, hoping you called with a draw and hate the 9

Very read dependant. But I think jamming the turn would be my course of action.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:57 AM

I think that I would also jam the turn here. That 1/2 pot bet could either be begging for a shove or more likely a weird sort of blocking / feeler bet -- maybe he takes the pot down there if you are scared of the 9, but he also buys himself a reasonably cheap river if he's drawing.

As played though, when river bricks you've got a tough decision. Your turn call shows a lot of strength and he just jams away anyway. Tough spot, and very read dependent. He's either got you crushed or is on a missed draw I think, and calling depends on how often you think he'd do this as a bluff.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:07 AM

PF I like
Flop - fold
turn - as played, call planing to call river (might fold to low st8ing crds, 35) (i'm just going to pay off 22, 44 here)
Old 04-27-2007, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My read on him:
Well he was raising a ton, pretty much every hand that came to him, even some in the blinds. Wasn't folding too many. But then post flop he wasn't crazy anymore, but definitely willing to gambol.

How he might view me:
I played a couple of previous hands with him, one where I was OOP with AAQQ, flop was Q56 with heart flush draw. I checked raised him on flop, he called. Turn was a 4 completing a straight, I pushed and he thought for a while, then folded. Said he had two pair and OES, and thought I was "brave". He guessed I had AA with flush draw FWIW - I had told him what I had.

[/ QUOTE ]

based on that read i revise my assment. FLop call is mandatory. Turn, you will get more value out of calling than pushing. Call river.

Value calling. Its okay in omaha.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:51 PM

you either call the turn hoping for a flush(not good here) or a house(would be good) and fold the river if u miss, or you pump the turn hoping he's betting with nut flush draw etc and then he folds....
more than likely he has 44, did you call the river?
Old 04-27-2007, 04:54 PM

and to be honest, i dont like the flop call at all. either he has a set or a higher flush draw, and you wont know which one he has, and even if u hit your flush draw he could still have a higher one along with a set....
and even if he doesnt, he still has outs, i have called on the flop like that sometimes so i wont criticise too much, just not a good play. post result or pm me it please
Old 04-27-2007, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and to be honest, i dont like the flop call at all. either he has a set or a higher flush draw, and you wont know which one he has, and even if u hit your flush draw he could still have a higher one along with a set....
and even if he doesnt, he still has outs, i have

[/ QUOTE ]

So you don't think he makes this flop bet with two pair? That actually seemed to me to be the most likely holding.

Conversely, he must certainly think he has fold equity, because I had both pushed and folded stuff.

With him firing on the turn and river, I definitely felt like I'd lost my positional advantage.