Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 09:47 PM

Default Re: Overtimes

I absolutely despise the fact that they start at the 25 which is an automatic 42 yard field goal. I'd love it if both teams were forced to start at the opposing 40 but I can understand why this wouldn't happen as no one would punt, so again you lose real football. In no way does NCAAFB resemble real football.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I absolutely despise the fact that they start at the 25 which is an automatic 42 yard field goal. I'd love it if both teams were forced to start at the opposing 40 but I can understand why this wouldn't happen as no one would punt, so again you lose real football. In no way does NCAAFB resemble real football.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I suppose starting at the 40 would be better. My biggest problem wiht the NFL OT is that I despise sudden death OTs in a game that has possessions (as opposed to like hockey). I see your point and just having another 10 minute period or something would be nice but its a compromise. You cant have games that go all night.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:53 PM

I can understand the dislike for sudden death. Though, I don't mind teams kicking off from the 35(40 is just to close) idea. I think the sudden death leads to exciting finishing players, one that comes to mind is Rashean Mathis intercepting Tommy Maddox for a pick-6. Though I can also understand why people would like College due to the BSU-OU game last year.

If they adopted the NFL style and just did the whole each team is guarenteed one possesion, I guess I could go for that. Though if a team scores on an opening possession it gives the opposoing team 4 downs on each set of downs. Football doesn't have a clear-cut way of doing it like basketball or baseball. And I think any changes is going to be shunned upon especially in college.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My problem with the NFL overtime is that assuming you have two high powered offenses the team with the ball first will win and that's not representative of the game either. I do agree though that CFB overtime should at least start at the 50.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
College football needs to change ASAP. It's by far the worst of all the overtimes. It barely resembles football and leads to disgusting stats. Either move the ball back to the 40 or midfield, or adopt the far superior NFL model.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really hard to see how the NFL model is so superior when it often time is just a matter of who wins the coin-flip to get possession and then is actually able to move the ball into FG position.

Compromise in the NFL would be that both teams get th eball no matter what.
If the first team to touch the ball goes onto score then the other team gets a crack at tying or winning the game.
If the first team does not score THEN we are in sudden-death and whichever team scores first will win.

Now you won't have the game taking all night and you can avoid teams winning on their very first possession which I just don't think is appropriate.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:59 PM

Bob,

[ QUOTE ]
As it is, however, fewer than half the teams that win the toss win on the first possession — about 40% historically and closer to 30% last season. And 20 of last season's 26 overtime games saw both teams have at least one possession, compared with 16 of 25 in 2002.

[/ QUOTE ]

Link to USA Today article It's from 2004, I know. I wish I had more time to go to wiki and check out since '04 the stats since then, or even get another source. But, I've been and am under the impression that those numbers are pretty accurate. Ok, I'm out for the night, hopefully someone can do some leg work for me. Enjoy your friday nights.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:06 PM

That doesn't convince me that it's not a flawed system.

This means that freaking 40% of the teams win the game without the other team even getting the opportunity to touch the freaking ball.

The fact that 20 of 26 OT's saw both teams have at least one possession means that there were 6 games where only one team got possession.

What if it was that way for basketball?
Coin-flip to decide first possession and whoever scores first wins the game:
Still would have a significant number of games last longer than one possession but the unfairness of the games that get decided without the other team even getting a chance to touch the ball is undeniable imo.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:08 PM

MLB + NBA have best overtimes. MLB is probably actually the best. NHL playoff hockey is pretty good too.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd vote that MLB, NBA and NCAAFB are the best overtime structures, and NFL and NHL are the worst.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm the opposite with NHL/NFL/CFB. I think the NHL and NFL overtimes are fine. I think the CFB overtime is terrible.

MLB and NBA overtimes are obviously fine, but the structure of these sports makes it easier to structure a good, fair overtime.

The NFL could make their overtime fairer by moving the kickoff to the 35 instead of the 30. It's such a simple change that would really help, even though 90% of NFL fans wouldn't even realize/understand the difference.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:20 PM

I'd like to see statistics on this but I suspect that having one team get 4 downs and one team get 3 (in CFB) is much more unfair then having one team get the chance to drive down the field and win the game (NFL). I can't stand CFB overtime, the field position game is such a huge part of football and it's completely gone in CFB.