Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2007, 07:43 PM

Default Further continuation?

This is an unusual situation for me because I'm so used to playing really bad players in this game. HJ is pretty solid but he probably plays too many hands. He's a regular. Button is teeniest Asian girl I've ever seen and I hadn't played with her before tonight. I've seen her before in the room playing the bluechip games. She seems to be playing pretty tightly but I think she's a little passive postflop. She's raised like one hand pf in two hours. She also seems to be taking position into consideration in her preflop decision making. That being said, here's the action.

Canterbury Park 6/12 full table

Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Preflop: UTG folds, Hero raises, all fold to HJ who calls, one fold, Button calls, blinds fold, three handed to the flop

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero bets, HJ calls, Button calls

Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero...?

Normally, the board is so dry against two opponents I would try to blast through it again. Especially given how loose the average player is for one bet on the flop. But in this situation though, both of my opponents are pretty solid and it's hard for me to believe that they are both on overs. HJ would also call me down with a small pair like 66 in this spot IMO. Help? Do I have the best hand or take it down often enough to bet here?
Old 09-30-2007, 02:12 AM

Default Re: Further continuation?

I bet again.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:45 AM

Is this a stupid hand to post? I was trying to find something useful to get feedback on from my last two sessions and this was about it.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this a stupid hand to post? I was trying to find something useful to get feedback on from my last two sessions and this was about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is so dependent on the situation, the opposition, and our table image.

it's a sticky spot, for sure. honestly, every option available is a viable choice. the right answer is probably, "it depends".

against unknowns i often fire again. our hand is on occasion best and it's not too hard to fold if raised. you never know, a small pp might fold which would be sweeeeet. such are the pains of being OOP.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:28 PM

HU i fire again, 3 handed oop i check and go from there.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:21 PM

HJ is a decent player, yet cold called 2 in a good position.

I would be thinking some kind of PP here, you say he will call down with 66, so I find a check here.

Typically I would fire again.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would be thinking some kind of PP here, you say he will call down with 66, so I find a check here.

Typically I would fire again.

[/ QUOTE ]
Problem is, it's usually gonna cost us 1 BB to get to showdown no matter what, unless the guy holding the middle pair is donktacularly passive (if we bet turn, check river he'll often check behind; if we check turn and he doesn't bet then, he'll certainly bet the river if checked to).

So I'd rather be the guy firing the 1 BB out on the turn. Our opponent(s) might fold rarely, but after we've been the aggressor on three streets now an overpair must at least cross their minds. And as James noted, if I get raised in this spot I don't have to worry that I'm throwing away the best hand. Make one or both opponents a little more aggressive and/or tricky though, and I agree that I could find a check here.

Mook
Old 10-02-2007, 01:17 AM

tricky position. doesn't sound like either HJ or Button will fold a small/medium pair in this situation and one of them likely already has it (if not trips). they know the flop didn't help you because you wouldn't raise in early position with A9 or medium pocket pair. you did not represent a big pocket pair well enough on the flop to push them out for a small bet on the flop. they did not call the flop because they were on flush draws, and chances are they were not on open ended straight draws either since cold calling with 34s is pretty stupid especially with so many people folding ahead of you. two decent players would not both stick around with two overcards weaker than AQ since they have to figure they are dominated.

i think you were out of gas when you got two callers on the flop. if you bet the turn, they are calling for the same reason they called the flop because not much has changed for you. if you check, they may check the same small/medium pair they were not willing to fold on the flop and you may get a free card and catch up.

so what happened?
Old 10-02-2007, 01:37 AM

I came to the same conclusion and checked. It checked through. The river brought a blank and it checked through again. They both showed AK, and I personally think that if I banged the river after checking the turn one of them would have called me. It was really weird. I really thought the HJ would threebang that preflop. Note to self.