Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2006, 02:42 PM

Default WSOP table with Dmitri Nobles

Hi, guys,

On Friday I am playing WSOP table together with Dmitri Nobles. He is is Seat 6 with 550K or something like that, I am in Seat 10 with 133K and being second biggest stack at the table. Any suggestions what my playing strategy should be? Position is good but thats probably negated if he raises like 80% of hands.
I was thinking of avoiding him and trying to pick tight players blinds if he is not in the pot until bubble bursts and then start picking spots to come over him in order to bust his bluffs.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:16 PM

Default Re: WSOP table with Dmitri Nobles

[ QUOTE ]
Hi, guys,

On Friday I am playing WSOP table together with Dmitri Nobles. He is is Seat 6 with 550K or something like that, I am in Seat 10 with 133K and being second biggest stack at the table. Any suggestions what my playing strategy should be? Position is good but thats probably negated if he raises like 80% of hands.
I was thinking of avoiding him and trying to pick tight players blinds if he is not in the pot until bubble bursts and then start picking spots to come over him in order to bust his bluffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

From the description of his play I would be looking for a chance to double-up off him. If he is raising and calling very thin like it sounds like he was, then you should be able to value bet effectively against him. If he calls a pot-sized-bet and hits a gutshot against you then that's just unlucky and you can't worry about that.

Also, if you are able to ~double-up against him, then you'll be in great shape to ramp up your stack even more at bubble time.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:20 PM

I wish you luck in playing against him. He seems to be playing any two cards from any position. It is going to be hard to avoid him if he continutes to raise 80% of the pots. I would talk to lloyd who posted on here before I am sure he could give you a good scouting report on this donk.

The best thing you have going for you is position, so use it. You will be able to trap him good if you get the right hand so I would be cautious and when you catch him in a trap do not let him off the hook and punish him.

Who knows maybe the dude will tighten up because he knows he can coast a little bit which will open up more spots for you.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:04 PM

Just don't play a hand with him. He'll suck out on you no matter what and you'll be knocked out.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:07 PM

I like your approach. Avoid him unless there is an ideal opportunity with a very strong hand. Pick on the smaller stacks that are upstream from you, and behind him. This will allow you to take maximum advatage of what should be tighter play by the smaller stacks until you are in the money.

Also, I would try to see how he perceives the table being "carved up," so to speak, between you and him with respect to position against the smaller stacks. That is, pick on the small stacks that he is not targeting. This way you can avoid clashes with him unless you are in an ideal situation with a very strong hand to take him on.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:10 PM

Actually yes I was also planning on checking if he is looking at my stack with respect - one wrong hand and we can be on equal terms - or he is just a bully who got loose in the field.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:28 PM

I always feel that playing any differently against someone because of the size of their stack is retarded.

Make +EV plays. Period. Even if you're top 5% in chips and have to put your 'tournament life' on the line vs the CL.

Don't be a pussy, just play good poker.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:58 PM

IMO the guy is ready to donate his chips to you. Great chance to double up though him. Having seen some of his hand histories he has been lucky. I would be happy to tangle with him - call his raises with anything reasonable, fold to aggression if u miss but double up when u hit raises wi is
Old 08-03-2006, 08:06 PM

I wouldnt be worried about him... i would be thankful you're in position to him. I'm sure a lot of people who have been watching his hands and reading his hand histories are probably quite envious of you right now [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Play solid poker and make him pay when you hit.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:07 PM

Bottom line is that if you think you have the best hand try and get all his chips twice. dont wait for something superpremium. if you think you have the best of it try to get all of them. you cant worry about just making the money. But yeah it does sound like trying to push him off a pot would be very foolish.