Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2006, 10:38 PM

Default QQ after 2 players move in

Middle of a $33 buy in tourney on party, blinds at $300-$600. An average player moves in from early position before the flop for $4000 and then another player which has me stacked moves in. I am in late position with $10,000 and have QQ. Should I call?

I folded thinking I was against at least AK or KK or AA. Unfortunately they had KT and AT.

Toffler
Old 08-02-2006, 10:41 PM

Default Re: QQ after 2 players move in

Before you get raked over the coals, edit out the last sentence.

As for the call, tough for sure...
Old 08-02-2006, 10:43 PM

1)Post converted hand history
2)Don't post results
3)Yes
4)YES!
Old 08-02-2006, 10:46 PM

Ok...here's the deal. You are WAY ahead of shorty's pushing range. Unless you have some pretty good read on over-stack, you should be ahead of his isolation raise, too. Bottom-line: You almost definitely have the best hand, so make the call and make $$$.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:04 PM

Having made this mistake myself recently in a big tourney, I know the pain u went through.
After reflecting for 24 hours I decided -
I should have risked my tourney for a chance to triple up.
More than likely I am in front but with overcards against me. Worse case I still have 20$ chance to hit my set.
The second pusher is more likely to have pushed to keep others out of the hand against a small stack push so unlikley to have dreaded AA or KK.

Unless you are a guru who can pass up small edges because u can outplay the rest of the field - then call!!
Old 08-02-2006, 11:07 PM

Hmmm... Well on first instinct...I'd say fold because coldcalling to me is always ballsy. But...after thinking I'd say definitely call. The 2nd person going all in is trying to create some dead money and make others fold. I'd put him on, sure AA KK, or even JJ, 1010, or AKs, AKo, AQs or maybe even AQo. To me, the only way you're behind is if the 2nd player has AA or KK, but if he does, there's a pretty strong likelyhood that the first player has at least an A or a K...so if you do spike your set, it's unlikely you'll get re-sucked out on. I just think I'd call because there's a small likelyhood you're beaten, but a great likelyhood that they're dominating each other, taking away there outs and giving you the advantage. Let's say they had both had AK...there's only 2 more A's and K's to give them a pair...thats only like 8-1 or so. In THIS situation, they're the 4.5-1 underdog. I'd say bad luck if player 2 has AA or KK. You've still got 6,000 in the side pot if player one has AA or KK, in which case, you'll cripple player 2 if he had AK, because he's really far behind to beat you. Plus, you'll actually GAIN 2,000 in chips in that side pot. So really, you're only worried about player 2 having AA or KK, and if player 1 does, oh well, you'll probably just gain 2,000.

As it turns out, with them having KT and AT, it'd be like being up against one player w/ AK...so there's still 6 outs for you to loose. That's probably the worst case for you, but you're still ahead. I kinda see the short stack moving in w/ KT...but the big stack is WAY outta line w/ AT...add it to your notes and call him a fish once or twice for me.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:26 PM

I call.

The main reason the SECOND guy pushes is to DISCOURAGE others from coming in the pot - he most likely does not have AA/KK, and you're a coinflip at worst against the rest of his range.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

As for the call, tough for sure...

[/ QUOTE ]

Not overly so.... With or without results I make this call.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:28 AM

I call this all day. Blinds move fast in tournaments, you dont even have 20BB, and even against QQ+/AK you are like 40% and there is NO way either of their ranges are that tight, easy call.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:31 AM

i insta call and pray i win my coinflip against villian