Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2007, 05:25 PM

Default Satellite Bankroll guidelines

I know that there are BR guidelines for MTTs in general, and many have commented on how you may not need the same bankroll for 180 vs 1000+ fields. But how do you adjust your bankroll requirement for satellites?

- Max payout is fixed
- fixed or fairly constant percentage of the field is paid the same prize
- can assume some avg # rebuys (for these formats)
- maybe factor in 2nd tier prizes (like $650 prizes in $33R WSOP sats), but probably a little tough
- assume average winning percentage as hopefully worst case
- assume that $ value of Seat, W$, or T$ are as good as whatever you bought in with (neglect 8-9% discount on W$ for example)

It seems like you can calculate appropriate BR for various scenarios, and determine what level buyin is appropriate. I'm thinking 100x buyin is not relevant to satellites, but I'm not sure what to replace it with. I expect it should vary based on my %ITM for various formats.

Does anyone have a link to the pure math behind Bankroll calculations that I could try to plug some scenarios into?
Old 03-23-2007, 06:18 PM

Default Re: Satellite Bankroll guidelines

No link. But I would think b/c of satellites relatively flat payout structure you could get away with fewer buyins than regular MTTs.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:31 PM

Default Re: Satellite Bankroll guidelines

I agree. And I'm trying to be mathematical about it. I think I'm being a nit with my bankroll, I'm just not sure how big of a satellite I should be playing on average (assuming I'm playing for the W$ or T$).

For example, for $11R sat with avg of 5 buyins, you should have a bankroll of >$5000, assuming 100x. This seems too much, but I'm not sure exactly how much.

But for an $80 WSOP sat to the $650 Sunday tourney, you have 11.2% of the field cashing, and you know the exact payout (neglecting 2nd tier prizes). It just seems like you should be able to plug these into an equation and pop out with a reasonable avg bankroll requirement to play these. I don't think it's an $8000 bankroll.

Regards,
Kindling