Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 11:03 AM

Default Re: The Lounge Cooking Challenge and Food Thread

Man, I'm not even a sufficiently sophisticated chef to know what a ramp is.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:48 AM

Yea I had no idea either until I saw them at the farmers market one day in May and everyone was lining up to buy them. They are also known as "Wild Leeks" Unfortunately they have a very short season (3 weeks?) and are only available in certain areas. So incredibly good though, I regret not eating them several meals a week while it was around.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_leek
http://www.epicurious.com/cooking/ho.../entry?id=4182
Old 07-18-2007, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sauteed Ramps with Sundried Tomato Pesto and Egg (old picture - ramps are out of season now unfortunately)

[/ QUOTE ]

This is cool, BK. Really enjoying your posts! Show us more egg dishes please. I like eggs and I would love to learn different ways to serve them.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:26 PM

Thanks. Ever tried duck eggs? I don't know how readily available they are, but i like them so much more than regular eggs. More rich and flavorful imo.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:05 PM

Spiced Chicken and Sweet Potato Fries 5-7-2007

I love chicken thighs so I had high hopes for this one, but it fell a bit short. It definently was enjoyable, but we had been on such a nice chicken run that it was hard to get too excited about this one.

http://wednesdaychef.typepad.com/the...sarans_sp.html

This was our first attempt at making sweet potato fries and I'm glad we did. They were baked with olive oil and kosher salt in the oven at high heat for 25 minutes or so, and accompanied by a galic mayo dipping sauce. The sauce was fantastic. (Just some mayo, garlic, and lemon juice)
Old 07-20-2007, 12:14 PM

I have to say that chicken looks awfully good. I'm sorry that it fell short of your expectations.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sauteed Ramps with Sundried Tomato Pesto and Egg (old picture - ramps are out of season now unfortunately)

We actually made this dish two nights in a row. We were looking for something a little more exciting than just plain sauteed ramps, and found some pine nuts in the pantry. We roasted them lightly, added a clove of garlic and a little olive oil, salt and pepper, then stirred in some chopped sundried tomatoes (bottled and preserved in a delicious tomato-flavored olive oil, a few drops of which we added to the mixture as well). For the second rendition, we added some chopped fresh basil as well. Meanwhile, we boiled the ramp bulbs and blanched the leaves, then sauteed them whole in a small amount of olive oil. The best part: we fried a duck egg (easy over), sprinkled it with salt and pepper, and let the runny yolk mix with the pesto and ramps.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea what the heck this food is but it is a very cool picture.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sweet Potato Hash:

Cut bacon into 1/2 inch strips and brown. Set aside. Brown two large sweet onions in the bacon fat. Blanch the sweet potato cubes for 3 minutes then add to the onions. Cook until tender (10+ minutes) on medium heat. When cooked, cook on high without stirring to brown the outsides of the potatoes. Mix in bacon, chives, and thyme.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds awesome!
Old 07-20-2007, 01:28 PM

Yeah, good hash is great. But I've almost never had anything but the kind that comes out of a can. I'd love to try some good home-made hash.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:44 PM

Good news, everyone. I've got blueberries! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I never knew Michigan was such a cool place to visit. Let me tell you that state rules! I want to move there now.

So does anyone know how to make blueberry pie? I looked at a couple recipes online. Some call for flour, some for corn starch. Does it matter? Is cinnamon a standard ingredient?