Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2007, 10:42 PM

Default Re: Ask a Car Salesman

What's the dealer invoice on an LS460L.

What's the lowest price such a car could be bought at?
Old 03-11-2007, 10:54 PM

lets say a car's invoice is 35,000. What are the chances I can bargain below 35k and how far below can I go, and how much of a kickback does the dealer get? Since most places don't sell trade ins over 10 years old my friend and I are looking for a project car that we can hack up and don't car what shape it is in. Let me know if you run across any of these, all like 93-95, Toyota MR2 Turbo, Nissan 240sx, Acura Legend Coupe 6 speed, 84 Corolla.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:42 AM

BradleyT, my General Manager wants it to be 15%. I am getting a lot of leads so I am at only 8-9%.
Kassdog, you will definately get a better deal over the internet than in person. Most internet salesman work on selling cars in volume, not for gross profit.
If you were an out of state or out-of-area buyer you could do the whole thing without coming into the dealership.
Or, we could do the negotiations over the phone and I can print up all the paperwork and then I come to you with the car and papers and sign you up.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:45 AM

Freakin, thank you for the compliment.
-Yes I can deliver a price better than live salespeople. I also think I work in a more efficient manner. It all depends on the car, some cars are scarce and the pricing reflects that.
I started the thread because I enjoy talking about my work and throught it I have learned a unique insight on how the car buying process works on all levels. I also wanted to give back to OOT on an interesting subject.
I would be glad to work with any OOT posters and I will definately offer you a 'friend of a friend' OOT discount.
(PM Me)
Old 03-12-2007, 02:47 AM

Shadowrun, I looked at the site and it is an interesting idea. I don't have a problem with it because the people who run those companies still have to buy cars from dealerships. When you are talking about the ultra-luxury market, the customer is paying for convenience and that could work for some people.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:51 AM

illeagle,
There are 4 LS460Ls.
1) LS460 79 MSRP Touring Package car, invoice is about 69k
2) LS460 79 MSRP Luxury Package car, same invoice
3) LS460 85 MSRP Rear seat upgrade package, about 84k invoice
4) LS460 94 MSRP Executive Package (special order) car, 81k invoice
As for pricing:
1 and 2 you can probably get $500-$1000 off sticker. Many people are quoting outrageous prices but few of them have cars in stock.
3) Those cars are rare, but a minor discount may be possible.
4) This car sells for as much over sticker as possible, 5-10k is common, one salesman did 2k over sticker.
Most of our LS460s have chrome wheels on them, which retail for $4995. Often we negotiate mainly on the price of the chromes.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:53 AM

NLfool, it depends on what car it is. Lexus rarely has factory money, so if a vehicle has a 35k invoice, the most you will get is $800 below (dealer holdback) or maybe a bit beyond that. Sometimes with models where there is huge inventory there will be greater discounts.
Mercedes Benz, Ford, Mitsubishi all have very large factory rebates.
You can buy some of those products thousands below invoice if you know all of the rebates and such.
The odds of me getting one of your cars on trade is quite slim. I'll let you know but I suggest you try craigslist.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I read OOT a lot, and the issue of purchasing automobiles comes up her often. I work as a fulltime Internet Salesman at a Lexus dealer in LA. I would be happy to provide insight on both sides of the buying process as well as Lexus in general. Ask Away!

[/ QUOTE ]

Please use the quote button so we can easily read the question you are answering.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Shadowrun, I looked at the site and it is an interesting idea. I don't have a problem with it because the people who run those companies still have to buy cars from dealerships. When you are talking about the ultra-luxury market, the customer is paying for convenience and that could work for some people.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes i agree its an interesting idea, i didnt mean to say that it would replace conventional car buying.

the reason its so interesting is studies show that these ultra cars only get driven about 30 days a year. so instead of paying 400,000+ for a car you barley use you can pay 50,000 (but only have 4-8 weeks) and can pick other cars.

also
what is the most price effective car in your opinion?
Old 03-12-2007, 03:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes i agree its an interesting idea, i didnt mean to say that it would replace conventional car buying.

the reason its so interesting is studies show that these ultra cars only get driven about 30 days a year. so instead of paying 400,000+ for a car you barley use you can pay 50,000 (but only have 4-8 weeks) and can pick other cars.

also
what is the most price effective car in your opinion?

[/ QUOTE ]
Shadow, price effective is a strange term. For Lexus, the IS250 is a very price effective car, as in a lot of car for the money. As is the ES350.
I would also say that the LS460L at either 79k or 85k is price effective becuase its two closest competitors cost $10k more and have lesser technology.
Its hard for me to say what cars are the most bang for the buck, be a bit more specific.