Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2007, 12:28 AM

Default \"Eight Mistakes in Poker\" re-revisited...

Seems to me "Eight Mistakes in Poker" is a concise and possibly still highly overlooked poker essay that has at least a little pearl of poker wisdom for nearly all levels of players.

I recently reread this essay after several months of poring over some of my favorite poker books, including TOP and have concluded "Eight Mistakes..." is perhaps one of the better essays in the analytical (as opposed to psychological) camp, and as such I feel that these critical mistakes should be gone over again:

1. Checking when you should bet.
2. Betting when you should check.
3. Calling when you should fold.
4. Calling when you should raise.
5. Folding when you should call.
6. Folding when you should raise.
7. Raising when you should call.
8. Raising when you should fold.

Any thoughts as to how some of these mistakes have affected your game since the "boom" of poker a few years ago? How has it affected the poker "landscape" of neophytes and latent prodigies? I welcome thoughts from the rank amateur like myself, to the most revered and respected expert, and everyone in between.

Please share your stories and experiences concerning these eight critical mistakes in practice.

My only complaint/critique is that I found the essay to be a bit short for my liking, but I appreciate that Sklansky gives multiple examples of each mistake in an easy to understand way. The essay is nothing if not accessible and well-presented.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:47 AM

Default Re: \"Eight Mistakes in Poker\" re-revisited...

What about patting when you should draw and drawing when you should pat? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]