Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2006, 11:52 PM

Default Ask Vulturesrow about life aboard an aircraft carrier...

...and related topics.

My background: Naval Flight Officer (think Goose from Top Gun) with close to 1000 flight hours, most of that in the EA-6B and some hours in a smattering of other aircraft. Ive flown missions over both Iraq and Afghanistan (and I may as well warn you now that I cant talk much about those missions other than in the most generic terms). Im a designated tactics instructor as well. I'll answer any question asked but if I decline to answer one, its not personal, I just cant answer that particular question. I ask that you refrain from asking regarding the political aspects of the military. If you think its a gray area, fire away and Ill probably answer.

PS There are others like me floating around 2+2 but I wont out them right now. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] There is a also an exsubmariner, but I think his cover is blown. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-05-2006, 12:00 AM

Default Re: Ask Vulturesrow about life aboard an aircraft carrier...

Well... I'll bite.

Have you ever killed a man?
Old 07-05-2006, 12:04 AM

No. My primary aircraft does jamming missions. So the chance of me killing a man is pretty small.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:08 AM

How long are you out to sea when you are gone?

How many take-offs and landings go on a day?

Have you ever witnessed any crashes?

What do you miss the most when you're gone?

Is it really loud on deck and do you like your job?

Can you make phone calls home anytime you want?
Old 07-05-2006, 12:10 AM

Have you ever known a gay sailor/airman on the carrier? Did it bother you?

I ask becuase I hear it's more frequent than people think. Sorry that was maybe politics but I think it's more of a personal q.

If you want to answer a political one though I'd also ask how you feel about Don't ask don't tell. Are you in favor of it or no? If not then would you favor a total ban or no ban at all? Thanks.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:15 AM

A good friend of mine from HS ended up stationed on an ACC (Enterprise? - I forget now which one) for a while around 2000 or so - he told me of a training video where they show a guy getting sucked into the engine of a jet head-first because he was not paying proper attention to his surroundings - supposedly the helmet saved his life... Have you seen this video too or is my friend more likely pulling my leg?
Old 07-05-2006, 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How long are you out to sea when you are gone?

[/ QUOTE ]

A typical deployment is 6 months but those 6 months are preceded by a series of exercises to get ready to deploy. These involve lots of time away from home as well. Most people find this harder than the actualy deployment.

[ QUOTE ]
How many take-offs and landings go on a day?

[/ QUOTE ]

The real answer is it depends. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] But somewhere in the neighborhood of 120.

[ QUOTE ]
Have you ever witnessed any crashes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I did witness one on my first deployment. It was a very sobering experience. 4 people that were friends of mine have died in crashes since Ive been in the Navy.

[ QUOTE ]
What do you miss the most when you're gone?

[/ QUOTE ]

Family. The toughest was probably missng the birth of my second daughter.

[ QUOTE ]
Is it really loud on deck and do you like your job?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is extremely loud during flight operations. I love my job but hate dealing with the Navy bureaucracy.

[ QUOTE ]
Can you make phone calls home anytime you want?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. Its possible to call home from the boat, but its not something you can generally do whenever you please. They do have some "payphones" but frankly in this day and age of email its not really worth it.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Have you ever known a gay sailor/airman on the carrier? Did it bother you?

I ask becuase I hear it's more frequent than people think. Sorry that was maybe politics but I think it's more of a personal q.

If you want to answer a political one though I'd also ask how you feel about Don't ask don't tell. Are you in favor of it or no? If not then would you favor a total ban or no ban at all? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never known of anyone that Ive worked with to be gay. To be honest, I dont think it would matter to me one way or the other but I can see how it could cause problems. I'm sort of on the fence as to how I feel about it, I actually think its not a bad compromise. But if it came down to it, Id find it hard to be supportive of a total ban.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A good friend of mine from HS ended up stationed on an ACC (Enterprise? - I forget now which one) for a while around 2000 or so - he told me of a training video where they show a guy getting sucked into the engine of a jet head-first because he was not paying proper attention to his surroundings - supposedly the helmet saved his life... Have you seen this video too or is my friend more likely pulling my leg?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive seen the video and it is absolutely true. What saved the guys life is the fact that the helmet (or cranial as its called) was pulled off his head and went down the engine first and basically trashed the motor so it wasnt turning after the kid got sucked down. Ive been told that the sailor in question actually climbed out of the inlet and started wandering towards the edge of the flight deck in a complete daze and was tackled by somone else who saw him about to walk over the side.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive seen the video and it is absolutely true. What saved the guys life is the fact that the helmet (or cranial as its called) was pulled off his head and went down the engine first and basically trashed the motor so it wasnt turning after the kid got sucked down. Ive been told that the sailor in question actually climbed out of the inlet and started wandering towards the edge of the flight deck in a complete daze and was tackled by somone else who saw him about to walk over the side.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw the video on "Real TV". They also interviewed the guy in question and he basically repeated what you posted.