Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Have you made between 100k-200k?
yes 50 20.92%
no 189 79.08%
Voters: 239. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-17-2007, 02:21 AM

Default Re: Live At The Bike - IS DEAD

I'm sad to see it go, I enjoyed watching the big games, and I played on the show one time before it went under. Big thanks to Bart and Dave for putting in the time and making the show what it was, and anyone else behind the scenes who I missed. Bart I'm sure if you continue on the path you will land a job in poker broadcasting like Dave, you have the talent.

That being said, live at the bike as a business is a great example of how not to run a subscription service. Their site was confusing and annoying to navigate, their communication with subscribers was basically non-existent and unacceptable. Even now as they go out of business they don't feel obliged to make a simple announcement or even send out an email to their paying subscribers. Absolutely shameful.

Perhaps the worst mistake they made was not pursuing advertising $$ or other ways to increase revenue to make the show viable, because obviously they were not making enough to keep it alive.

I hope at least they put the best archived shows on a DVD and sell it
Old 04-17-2007, 06:10 AM

It failed because the concept was flawed. The commentary consisted of constant (and repetitive) poker lessons given by two unknown players. The talk was non-stop and frequently argumentative. It did not help that it was the same cast of players night after night.

High Stakes poker has good commentators - a witty and knowledgeable color man and a play by play guy who does not pretend to know anything. Poker after dark has a pretty good format too, with very little commentating. Both shows make the poker game the star of the show rather than the commentators. Both shows mic the players so you can hear what they are saying.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:55 AM

When did Bart resign?
Old 04-17-2007, 07:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It failed because the concept was flawed. The commentary consisted of constant (and repetitive) poker lessons given by two unknown players. The talk was non-stop and frequently argumentative. It did not help that it was the same cast of players night after night.

High Stakes poker has good commentators - a witty and knowledgeable color man and a play by play guy who does not pretend to know anything. Poker after dark has a pretty good format too, with very little commentating. Both shows make the poker game the star of the show rather than the commentators. Both shows mic the players so you can hear what they are saying.

[/ QUOTE ]

The lack of success has nothing to do with the commentators IMO. It's just plain boring to watch full ring NL night after night.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You couldn't be much farther off if you tried.

The commentary, at least when it was Dave and Bart every night, was top notch. I'd take those two over AJ Benza and Gabe Kaplan any day of the week.

I'm not sure how business was going for LATB after they changed the show to subscription only, but when they were showing 10-20nl every night with the same cast and characters it was my favorite time watching LATB. When they switched it to predominantly 5/10 with unknown players and the absence of Dave is when the show went downhill, for me.

The reason that HSP and PAD are successful has more to do with super high stakes and tables full of poker superstars than the commentating. Not to mention the shows are on popular tv networks.

People who complained about paying $15 a month to watch the show and access the archives are pathetic. It was well worth the money and it was worth it just to support the show. It's a measly 15 dollars for christ sake, deal with it.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason that HSP and PAD are successful has more to do with super high stakes and tables full of poker superstars than the commentating. Not to mention the shows are on popular tv networks.

People who complained about paying $15 a month to watch the show and access the archives are pathetic. It was well worth the money and it was worth it just to support the show. It's a measly 15 dollars for christ sake, deal with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

goodbye LATB was a good show imo worth the money
Old 04-23-2007, 10:38 AM

This is very dissapointing to hear.

LOL @ everyone having expert commentary on why the show died.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:13 PM

This is the begininng of the end. Poker is dead. 6 more months max.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:20 AM

put the best archived showes on dvd and ship it to us ripped off subscribers would be would be the only thing that could redeem there shameful customer service. i think we have already paid enough to cover this.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:23 PM

I have fond memories of watching LATB this past summer when I had more free time...

I think the first night I discovered it I posted in the thread "god these commentators are awful" and was quite surprised to hear my post read a few minutes later.

also watching a big hand go down and Bart getting all excited followed but a string of 10 posts: "Bartgasm!" "awesome Bartgasm!" "best Bartgasm in awhile".

the show went downhill for me when after watching half an ep I hopped in my car and drove up to the Bike to play some and found that Bart was much less attractive in person.