Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 10-27-2007, 12:48 PM

Default Re: Anti-depressants

Whoa. Good thing this is TL;DR.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Depression is a curious thing. It seems so normal when you're in it, as if this is your world.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this for the most part.

The first time I ever experienced depression was after my daughter was born. Post partum depression. Thankfully only lasting a few weeks but profound depression. I had never really understood a lot about depression until I experienced it. It was not feeling down, it was a feeling of desperation. Hopeless. Everything was wonderful in my life, I could logically reason this but was still unable to get a handle on my emotions. I knew this was not normal but also knew that it was post partum depression and would seek help if it did not get better. It was just a matter of waiting it out. And it did get better.

After that resolved nothing like it for years. Then one day like someone flipped a switch it was back, just not as profound. This is where VR's statement is so true. It feels 'normal' when you are in it. Some days better than others, the depression exacerbated by things happening around you, but always there. This is where it took two years to acknowledge it and ask for help. When my family wanted to take me out for my birthday but I could not even get out of bed, I knew I needed to do more than live with it. This was no longer living.

The meds, when I found one that was right for me just made seemed to flip that switch off. I am not sure if that makes any sense. Like I said before I was able to get off of them for a while but could now recognize that I needed to start again. I am not sure that I will try to take myself off again.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:19 PM

Wow, VR, that's one powerful post. I hate to admit that I can relate to those thoughts, and the mental breakdown. I hope that those who never have to deal with this illness can begin to better understand it by reading this, and "someone" can be a little more sensitive to why this post exists.

And also VR, please post more.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:10 PM

i was put on prozac. it made me suicidal.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:46 PM

Why was Prozac prescribed to you? I don’t mean to sound funny, but I think anti-depressants should only be prescribed if the person is already in a suicidal depression. The fact that it made you suicidal makes my brain hurt. Prescribed for anxiety instead of depression?

The hardest part about living after having survived depression is the constant fear of it coming back. It has been over 10 years since I survived and conquered the state of mind for which I was taking Zoloft. When things seem hard now, I remember how the drug helped me release all the negative thoughts about myself and I can manage to do that without help to get through it. Even still, I have the terrible nagging feeling: continue to pretend everything is OK, otherwise, suffer the free fall nightmare of depression.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i was put on prozac. it made me suicidal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah when I was prescribed it the Dr said that this happened occasionaly. I love my prozac [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-28-2007, 03:27 AM

For all you people who were put on medications, did your doctors suggest cognitive behavioral therapy in combination with the drug?
Old 10-28-2007, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For all you people who were put on medications, did your doctors suggest cognitive behavioral therapy in combination with the drug?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was in cognitive behavioral therapy, and my therapist suggested I talk to a doctor about antidepressants.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Out of curiosity more than criticism, why is the thinking on this forum so unsophisticated when it comes to matters of science?

Presumably the OP was evaluated for symptoms of major depression and prescribed an antidepressant. In his mind the logical next step is to ask for lay-opinions about whether or not that class of medication is helpful? And then the question is seriously entertained? Some of the responses even reminding me of the "home remedy" thread from a few weeks back.

I just find it interesting that in a forum like BBV, where the average age is likely to be 19 and the majority of posters likely have little or no college education, there is a clearly decipherable underlying level of critical thinking and logic permeating through even the most recreational threads whereas in this forum, where the average age rates to be a decade older and the average level of education almost certainly includes at least some college, you are more likely to run across a comment about how grandma cures the hiccoughs than you are to stumble across a sound criticism of some flimsy thinking.

It's just quite striking to juxtapose erudite, professional-level film critiques with campfirey 20-questions exerpts oozing with superstition and inanity.

I imagine my description of this observation will piss everyone off, but I suppose that type of response would only bolster my suspicions.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

what's wrong w/polling lay people to see how they have handled side effects and other things of that nature?
Old 10-28-2007, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Took paxil for 1 year and a half.

Even if I was suicidal at the time, if I could go back, I wouldn't use any anti-depressant.

If you can get over your depression without it, I suggest you do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

It affected my thinking and emotions in a weird way. I felt "artificially better", if you will. Combined with the side-effects like loss of libido, I was left wondering who I was and what I liked and where was I going in life.

Without it I felt depressed, but I least I was thinking clearly ; I understood the roots of my feelings.

Also once I started taking paxil, everyone went with the "clinical approach" with me. Like a schizophrenic who needs constant attention or something. It only made matters worse to have people literally spy on me and having to answer questions everyday.

I find it easier to get better when people don't EXPECT me to be clinically depressive.

EDIT: When people know you're depressed, their attitude towards you changes. And it sucks, because everytime you talk to them, it's like they're reminding you "hey, you're supposed to be suicidal!". I kept thinking "leave me alone dammit, I'm trying to get better!"

[/ QUOTE ]

if you take drugs for depression, your not going to figure out why you are depressed. you won't be able to sort it out at all. you just end up taking drugs until the problem goes away, and if the problem is caused by you, then there is no good solution, and you will end up taking drugs for a long time.