Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2007, 03:51 PM

Default Re: Ask me about growing up with a Bi-Polar parent

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fish you mentioned not having friends over your house because you weren't sure how your mom would be, can you elaborate on the social implications of having a bipolar parent?

Some questions that come to mind:

Did your mom go to any of the PTA stuff at your school, or other functions?
Were you worried about your mom interacting with other people parents?

[/ QUOTE ]

Curious about that too. A friend of mine had a really bad alcoholic mother and no father, and as a kid he had to handle the police when they came over because of her craziness. Tough to be the voice of reason in the house when you're 10. I'd be interested to hear someone else's take on what rough situations like that were like.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not remember ever being as young as 10 and having to deal with moms craziness directly.

Here is what I do remember about some particularly rough things.

I remember visiting her in the hospital (Psych ward) and just hating the thought of going there. Everyone there was so drugged up and bonkers that it was surrealistic. Very hard to see someone you love in a place like this.

I remember one time when my dad and I had to both work together to physically get my mom in the car and to the hospital and have her committed. It was tough because she didn't want to go and was crying and screaming and on the verge of being violent at times. But, there was no way she couldn't go and the only other choice was calling the rescue squad and having her drugged and bound up and carried out that way. Very tough deal!

I also lost a couple of girlfriends that I had been seeing for a while that I really cared about because of my mom. They both told me the same thing. They couldn't deal with the weird antics and they were scared that because my mom had this I would end up with it as well. That hurt pretty bad. I can also say that even with my wife now there have been some really rough times where we were on the verge on not making it and mt moms stuff had a part in that as well. Luckily we made it through that and it is behind us.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:16 PM

LOL buncha posts got deleted.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:29 PM

Yep