Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: $60k-$80k
0-20% 2 11.11%
20-40% 7 38.89%
40-60% 8 44.44%
60-80% 0 0%
80-100% 1 5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-27-2007, 04:51 AM

Default Re: High Stakes Poker thread (10/21) (spoilers to come) *DELETED*

even with 100k, its still not great to be playing speculative hands that will drain your stack

[ QUOTE ]

my point is simple... he watched the first half of the day... he saw that many hands were played with less than premiums.... if he wasn't ABLE to play that brand of poker then perhaps it was his responsibility to let mori know that he didn't think that HE was a good match for the table... then mori wouldn't have wasted a valuable seat on him.

the kid looked obviously uncomfortable... noone can play the game when we're uncomfortable in our surroundings. don't you at least agree with that?

do you see what i mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

so you want him to raise 92o every other hand? im pretty sure he would have loved to play there all day due to the fishiness, and most likely he can change gears if the table conditions call for it. that table calls for tight play, and thats what he did. somehow you take this as being uncomfortable.

like i said in my last post, you dont want to see good poker, you just want to see random people gamble for a lot of money with crap hands...so if youre in that demographic, can you quit trolling those who like watching good poker?

and i doubt hes uncomfortable, pics suggest thats how he always looks at the tbls

edit: i think i see what ur thinking. you think he should play lag because everyone else was. its quite the opposite. basic strat would say that you play TAG at a LAG tbl, and vice versa... though it goes deeper thats the gist. he was promised a seat in the 500k game at the time, so there was no reason to lag it up then. if there was no promise that he would have gotten in, would he have played a bit diff? probably.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

so you want him to raise 92o every other hand? im pretty sure he would have loved to play there all day due to the fishiness, and most likely he can change gears if the table conditions call for it. that table calls for tight play, and thats what he did. somehow you take this as being uncomfortable.

[/ QUOTE ]

you seem too confident in the fact that the guy was getting nothing but trash. this, to me, falls into the category of making excuses. i, on the other hand, happen to believe that he, more than likely, had several playable hands, but they weren't premiums. if his style is to simply play premiums then so be it. on this day he came across as a nit.
[ QUOTE ]

like i said in my last post, you dont want to see good poker, you just want to see random people gamble for a lot of money with crap hands...so if youre in that demographic, can you quit trolling those who like watching good poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

what is watching good poker? is it AKs raises... JJ calls. board comes 10 high and jj bets... ak folds. what is good poker. poker is simply watching different players make decisions on each street. you people use this phrase "good poker" yet is it truly defineable? it seems to me there is an arrogance in your tone.

to me good poker play .. and watching good poker .. is about play after the flop. preflop play is consumed with hand selection. post flop is decisions and betting. i like to see how i'd play compared to how the pro's actually play.

to me preflop play is much more "gamble" than even what sammy does. but i'm sure we will disagree with this.

[ QUOTE ]

edit: i think i see what ur thinking. you think he should play lag because everyone else was. its quite the opposite. basic strat would say that you play TAG at a LAG tbl, and vice versa... though it goes deeper thats the gist. he was promised a seat in the 500k game at the time, so there was no reason to lag it up then. if there was no promise that he would have gotten in, would he have played a bit diff? probably.

[/ QUOTE ]

your assumption: that jman was throwing away total garbage

your assumption: i think he should play total garbage

my belief:we've seen jman on 1 full and 1 half of another show. we have seen him play 2 hands. both of them were big pp's. if i remember correctly he's positioned 2 behind sammy and directly in front of eli. there has to have been some playable hands, in late position, that he threw away. now you use the term good poker. what does that mean? does that mean only big pocket pairs AK and AQ suited? in that case if that's what you expect then i'd agree with you that jman is simply playing tight. i happen to believe that if he is as good as HE claims to be .. u know he could take all of hellmuth's money headsup... then i would think a player of that expertise.. that could outplay the majority of players he's up against. would find a few hands to play. that's it... i am not a big time pro... but.. i do know that if i'm sitting with a bunch of players that i feel i'm the equal of or that i feel i have an advantage over... i don't wait for premiums. i don't play garbage either.

to a man who doesn't read all of jman's pr or railbird him on the net... to me he was just the new guy at the table... there was nothing impressive about him. he played solid safe poker.

btw... i was also not impressed with the cash poker clip i watched on youtube where he folded a set of 9's. perhaps you were. internet play is much different than live. internet players seem to believe that (and rightly so in many cases) that when the flush hits the bettor has it. live poker is truly much different. it does require a degree of gamble... gamble simply meaning that there is a degree of uncertainty as to whether the hand you are betting is the best. not meaning gamble as in a roll of the dice.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there SHOULD have been a few playable hands that he saw other than QQ and JJ

[/ QUOTE ]

They do not show all hands....
Old 10-27-2007, 02:28 PM

JDesab,

If he was getting so many good hands, how come they invariably didn't show them on the HSP telecast? Given that they were painting him as a nit, if he threw away half-decent hands it would be in their interest to televise them.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
JDesab,

If he was getting so many good hands, how come they invariably didn't show them on the HSP telecast? Given that they were painting him as a nit, if he threw away half-decent hands it would be in their interest to televise them.

[/ QUOTE ]

why do you post on a thread about a tv show that you know nothing about? throughout the 4 seasons of HSP so far... it is very rare that they show us a hand that a player mucks on their first action. in fact the only hand that comes to mind was during the last episode when harman was talking about her holding then ended up mucking. prior to that i don't remember them ever showing us what the players mucked.

also, i don't think that the producers of the show would ever do something like this to any of it's players.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:17 AM

jdesab, people that are good at poker know exactly why he didnt play a lot of trash hands at a table where everyone was splashing around w/ garbage. Its that thing most live players suck at called adapting to table conditions correctly rather than imitating what the famous people are doing. also that bet is still open to you for any amount
Old 10-28-2007, 11:01 AM

stalemate doc.

you obviously believe all he was dealt the entire time so far is trash.

i believe he froze. would only play top 5's. and weakly.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:15 PM

no no im not claiming to know what his cards were (im assuming you arent either), but im saying that the most profitable way to play in that game would be pretty tight due to all the other splashing around. im not even arguing with people that say he made for bad TV (hell he may even have been nervous idk im not him), i just think its ridiculous for people to say he's outclassed at that table just b/c he join in the fun limp/calling huge raises w/ garbage.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:49 PM

Hmmmm... you don`t call a person that lays down the best hand being outplayed? and by extension outclassed?

Not to mention that he was very much outclassed in character, personality, social skills and entertainment department, all of them important for a poker show on top of having poker skills.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmmmm... you don`t call a person that lays down the best hand being outplayed? and by extension outclassed?

[/ QUOTE ]
You must not be very good at poker. DUCY?? This statement is more than a little idiotic.