Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 05:46 PM

Default Dangers of Dealing....

I am going to be dealing cards in a poker game in NY. I was wondering what can happen to me(fine/punishment) if the cops bust it? As much details as possible would be thankful.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:48 PM

Default Re: Dangers of Dealing....

57 views and no help?
Old 06-02-2007, 06:52 PM

No idea about NY but I have friends that deal in underground rooms in TX so I can speak to that. Worst case, if the cops want to be a pain in the butt they can charge the dealers with gambling promotion which is a felony but more often the employees - dealers, wait staff, etc - only get a mistomeanor charge not the felony charge. The people actually running the game tend to get the gambling promotion charge. They DO tend to take all the employees to jail - the customers they tend to write tickets and let them go.

The lesser charge is a fine and ticket and MAY be the type of charge where if you ask for a trial they wind up dropping it anyway but you need to pay an attorney for that. And this is TX not NY.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:59 PM

Thanks....anyone from NY that can help me out? I want to go to law school and become an attorney so I dont know how much this might hurt me.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:00 PM

76 views and no:

???????????
Old 06-02-2007, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks....anyone from NY that can help me out? I want to go to law school and become an attorney so I dont know how much this might hurt me.

[/ QUOTE ]

THAT makes this serious. DO NOT, DO NOT, take the job. You will have nothing but grief from the character committee of the Bar Association if you get convicted of even a very minor offense. You may still get thru but you'll hate what's going to happen when it comes time to deal with them.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:12 PM

Understood. I thought that many law students/ or med students involved with dealing weed and [censored] as well to make money for school.

I have heard that its a 500 dollar fine for each dealer and they jsut detain you for a bit. Is this true?
Old 06-02-2007, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Understood. I thought that many law students/ or med students involved with dealing weed and [censored] as well to make money for school.

I have heard that its a 500 dollar fine for each dealer and they jsut detain you for a bit. Is this true?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea. I DO know one of the managers of the old Mayfair Club who got picked up in a raid. That club didn't have dealers. She was a manager for a long time, made a good living, and I don't think she had much experience at anything else. Her arrest experience convinced her to do ANYTHING except get involved in another poker club.

IMO, if you've got law school in mind, you shouldn't take the chance.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:36 PM

Almost every time there is a raid the dealers are arrested. I know some that were arrested and the charges were later dropped, so you might get lucky and not actually have a record. I'm sure either way though if you want to be a lawyer this might not be a great idea. Some games have been going for years and there is very little risk of a raid. Other clubs open up for a few months and then get shut down. If you're working in a legit place it might be worth it for you, the money you can make dealing in some of these games is insane.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:58 PM

Is this a game with rake or no rake? If the game is being raked and gets busted the cops will want you to roll on those operating the game? They can charge you with money laundering - big time felony charge. Regardless of the outcome, they will make your life miserable.

Brief hijack. My buddy who deals our home game just got indicted for dealing a game a few years ago that he wasn’t even at. They have him mixed up with a dealer with the same first name. He already spent 4 days in jail (waiting extradition to the nearby county) and has to come up with $3K retainer for his attorney.
Closed Thread