Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2007, 12:44 AM

Default Re: College Football Week 8

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Les Miles is the dumbest/luckiest coach ever, wow.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well you do know the announcers were totally wrong about the tie thing right?

A fade route with 9 second left is not that risky. There would have been ~4 seconds left had it been incomplete.

[/ QUOTE ]

With the clock running there was no way to know that Flynn snaps it with 9 sec. when Miles called the play.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The clock easily could have run out. You never know if it's going to be batted up in the air or whatever. [censored] Les Miles is the biggest luckbox.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you realize how long four seconds is. The ball would have to be batted like 50 feet in the air in order for it to take 4 seconds to hit the ground again. If it were close they'd review the play to see whether LSU would get another play.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:45 AM

It is so frustrating to me to watch ESPN coverage, where they discuss none of the things that actually determined the game and the results oriented analysis is out of control.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The clock easily could have run out. You never know if it's going to be batted up in the air or whatever. [censored] Les Miles is the biggest luckbox.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I don't think I've ever seen a ball get batted around in the air for 4 seconds, it's a long time. Just because the man realizes that going for it on fourth down is often +EV and makes a gutsy playcall that Aurburn wasn't expecting does not make him a luckbox.

[/ QUOTE ]

My problem with the play was it could have easily been picked off. It wasn't like the LSU receiver was wide open. The defender was in a good position to make a play on the ball, he just screwed up. If you have a decent kicking game there is no reason to go for the td in that situation.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Les Miles is the dumbest/luckiest coach ever, wow.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well you do know the announcers were totally wrong about the tie thing right?

A fade route with 9 second left is not that risky. There would have been ~4 seconds left had it been incomplete.

[/ QUOTE ]

With the clock running there was no way to know that Flynn snaps it with 9 sec. when Miles called the play.

[/ QUOTE ]
Also, he caught it with four seconds and the clock stopped with one second. If he MISSES the catch with four seconds, even if it's not batted, the clock very well might stop with one second then as well. Plus or minus a second [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2007, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Miles and Tuberville were both morons in the last 2 minutes.

That squib quick is huge LOL.

LSU totally deserved to win the game though, bad spot on the last drive be damned.

Saban's Bama vs. LSU grudge match in 2 weeks, winner takes the West (almost certainly).

LSU will be 10 pt fav my guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

The squib kick was dreadful. I wanted to strangle him. It worked earlier in the game, but LSU knew it was coming by that point.

Great game though. Congrats LSU. Too tough to win that game on the road. Seems like every year the home team has just enough.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It is so frustrating to me to watch ESPN coverage, where they discuss none of the things that actually determined the game and the results oriented analysis is out of control.

[/ QUOTE ]

ESPN is good for watching the games and nothing else. When you realize this, and never watch SportsCenter again, you'll be a happier person. If you want to discuss the game then come here or talk to your friends. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2007, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you realize how long four seconds is. The ball would have to be batted like 50 feet in the air in order for it to take 4 seconds to hit the ground again. If it were close they'd review the play to see whether LSU would get another play.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're talking about it as if Miles put that kind of thought into it. The ball could have easily been snapped with 5 seconds left for all he knew. It was a dreadful call. I really don't think you can defend it.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ESPN is good for watching the games and nothing else. When you realize this, and never watch SportsCenter again, you'll be a happier person. If you want to discuss the game then come here or talk to your friends. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
SportsCenter is good for the highlights. There are some ZOMG plays that you just have to see, and it's not always easy to track them ALL down on YouTube. The mute button makes it better [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2007, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

My problem with the play was it could have easily been picked off. It wasn't like the LSU receiver was wide open. The defender was in a good position to make a play on the ball, he just screwed up. If you have a decent kicking game there is no reason to go for the td in that situation.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not sure about that. It seemed like a pretty safe deep pattern, and the way Flynn had been playing I would trust him to make a safe throw and not take a sack. I'm honestly not being results oriented here -- I like the call.

(Chance at a TD) + (very makable FG attempt) - (small chance at interception + small chance of sack) > very makable FG attempt.

EDIT to concede: There is a good chance this was nothing close to Les Miles' thought process.

I don't care. WE WON!!!!111