Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2006, 11:43 PM

Default Re: No Limit Hold \'em: Theory and Practice Cover

Ed,

Why didn't you use one of the pics from the QueerEye shoot? David looks like he's getting younger, but you look like you're aging rapidly.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:59 PM

I like it. None of the books I own are green.

Red, yellow, tan, blue, dark blue, red, pink, darker blue...

this works.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:13 AM

Over 26% of my poker books are green. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] I have to ask you to reconsider. How about blue? I like blue. Everybody likes blue, right guys?
Old 05-13-2006, 12:16 AM

A little moody tonight aren't we? Green, Red, who cares. Gimme chapter 1, I'm ready to up my winrate! I'd settle for the table of contents tho. *hint*
Old 05-13-2006, 01:26 AM

green is fine by me.

I actually like the front-cover decently.
Not super-duper fantastic, but better than the previous 2+2 pistol covers.

As for best poker-book covers (as was asked in this thread), my favorite cover by far is that for Weighing the Odds in NL Hold-Em by King Yao. I think that is just a terrific cover.

The apostrophes on the back-cover look pretty bad imo and I'm surprised nobody caught that sooner.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
EDIT: Since I sit here stunned looking at this, and seeing the negative comments. And I know Mark will not defend himself, because he respects these guys and the books so much. What is being printed is not what it was supposed to look like. I would rather not piss off these guys more so I will refrain from posting the actual way the thing was supposed to look like.

[/ QUOTE ]

You aren't going to piss me off at all. I definitely don't claim to have an eye for this stuff. At the same time, I don't see how we butchered it so badly... though again, that may be because I have no eye.

Feel free to let me know what you think we did wrong...
Old 05-13-2006, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think your back cover is suffering from a bad case of grocers apostrophe .

Surely it's 'hows and whys', not 'how's and why's'?

[/ QUOTE ]

This jumped out at me too, although I'm not sure it's grocer's apostrophe. Some American style manuals recommend (or at least permit) using an apostrophe to avoid confusion when forming unusual plurals, e.g., "Mind your p's and q's."

Maybe whoever wrote the jacket copy didn't want people standing in the poker section at Barnes and Noble going "'Haus and whiss?' What the hell are 'Haus and whiss?'"

[/ QUOTE ]

I wrote the back cover copy, and I had this debate with myself, and I decided that the apostrophes were good because I didn't want any confusion. I suppose I am a sinner.

P.S. I also use "they" as a singular neuter pronoun in many places throughout the book. I think it's a progressive, yet natural, solution to our pronoun gender problem. Gird yourself.
Old 05-13-2006, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ed,

Why didn't you use one of the pics from the QueerEye shoot? David looks like he's getting younger, but you look like you're aging rapidly.

[/ QUOTE ]

He didn't get any photos from the photo shoot. The photos are for QE continuity, promotion, and ALL IN magazine spread.

Also, the show airs on June 20th at 10pm. During the filming of the show, we pretended the book was already out because when people view it, it will be.
Old 05-13-2006, 02:35 AM

Hi Ed,
I don't think it is so much a matter of what you did wrong but what you could have done better. As far as the back cover I would suggest you buy Dan Poynter's self publishing manual and look through some of his recommendations of how best to utilize your back cover; it might get you to think from a marketing point of view more so than a poker player's point of view. Hope this is helpful. No doubt you will sell many copies just on the reputation of 2+2 but the b+m bookstore crowd might need a bit more convincing and your back cover can really help them with a decision.
Old 05-13-2006, 03:26 AM

Hi Jimi:

All our back covers on all our books are very similar. That's because this is what they have evolved to and after many years we believe this is the best back cover for us.

Best wishes,
Mason