Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2007, 11:24 AM

Default Re: Would any of you move to LV in my situation.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As a side question, What is the cost of living in LV. For instance what would a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment, average size cost a month for rent.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's cheap. A decent 2br/2ba will run about $400-$500 per roommate.

One thing that sucks is car insurance. Vegas has a very high car theft rate which raises insurance.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is of course subjective, auto insurance has been much cheaper for me here in Vegas than it was in NYC or NJ. But generally you are correct.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:41 AM

STAY AWAY FROM LAS VEGAS------
There are a lot better places for someone like you.
Night life here for the young can get a little expensive.
The strip is the life of the town.
There are far better schools for you to complete your education.
Vegas will be here when you have the education done.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:54 AM

Good luck with whatever you decide to do and thanks for your service. The GI Bill was one of the best decisions America has ever made.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:29 PM

It cant be more expensive than NJ or DC car insurance rates. I most likely will be paying liability only since the car is paid and cheap.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see why you would not go in an instant.

Rolled for 1/2NL -- good.
8k Savings -- no worries, you can always fall back on this.
6 months unemployment LOL after discharge -- you even have a steady income that won't eat up your time.
Really no furniture or asetts to move -- going to LV isn't going to be a hassle at all!

Cons

I don't know ANYBODY in LV -- well, you probably don't know anybody pretty much everywhere. So unless you plan on spending your life living down the street from mom and dad, get out and meet some people. LV people eat,drink,sleep just like the people in Maryland.
It can get hot -- yeah, it does that pretty much everywhere in America during the summer.

I say give it a shot, or spend the rest of your life (living close to mom and dad) wondering if you could have made it in LV

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I moved here a year ago last week with 2 suitcases and a cat, following losing everything in FL to a hurricane and an ex-wife. No job, no friends or family, no place to live, and had never been to Vegas before. No problem. I don't regret it a single bit. I love it here. My life has been great. If I were thinking of doing this in your situation, I'd leave smoke trails getting here.

Life is a great adventure to those willing to leave the house. "This ain't no dress rehearsal."

Seriously, if you don't have something to tell the grandkids, you've wasted a great gift. Life. Do it now, while you have time to recover if you've screwed up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do it before you have more responsibilites and you're young. Good luck and I'll be there a couple of years behind you!
Old 05-16-2007, 05:48 AM

Easy call - why NOT do it?

If you don't like it, you haven't moved a house full of crap, a wife, kids, etc there and you can just up and move someplace else at any time.

As far as not knowing anyone in LV, lots of people that don't know anyone in LV because they just moved there so you won't be alone in that respect. Most people aren't locals, it's sorta boom-town-ish which can be interesting in itself. Great place to be in the friggin crane business!
Old 05-16-2007, 11:33 AM

8 Years ago yesterday, I threw all my stuff in my car, grabbed the $1k I had to my name, and started driving to Vegas with no place and no job. It worked out fine. You are obviously in great shape comparably if you want to give it a shot.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
8 Years ago yesterday, I threw all my stuff in my car, grabbed the $1k I had to my name, and started driving to Vegas with no place and no job. It worked out fine. You are obviously in great shape comparably if you want to give it a shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clarkmeister, didn't you write an indepth article/post about your trip out to Vegas? I'm sure OP and others would love to read it.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:16 PM

OP, did you cap anyone in duty ? If you capped someone in the field, I think Vegas is for you. Because nothing in vegas could phase you.