Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2007, 08:54 PM

Default rebuy tourney question?

instead of taking a rebuy after busting out wouldn't it be better to just wait for another tourney and to start fresh? It doesn't make sense to me to add another rebuy when you are starting out behind everyone else and trying to play catch up... My strategy is rebuy at the start and take the add on on a end of the rebuy period but never rebuy if I bust out...

I also don't play tight, just so I don't bust... since I'm just going to play another tourney later or tommorrow... The only good motive I think of to rebuy is if you are playing in big rebuys and can't wait till tomorrow to restart a different tourney...

Is my thinking correct here?
Old 03-15-2007, 08:56 PM

Default Re: rebuy tourney question?

No. Double rebuy. Double up.

Edit to add: if you're going to play an online rebuy at all, you should be prepared to pay at least 5 buyins due the maniacal nature of these and the inevitable suckouts. If you are not willing to get it all in early in a rebuy, you should stick to freezeouts.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:10 PM

I double rebuy (and add-on at the end of the tourney) and willing to get all in early in a rebuy... I just don't see the point of rebuying after I've already busted out when I can "rinse and repeat" in a another rebuy tourney where I'm at a chip disadvantage by starting over when others at my table have already doubled before me...

Basically my idea is gamble early and if I bust out wait for another rebuy tourney to start (instead of rebuying in the same tourney when my chips I'm rebuying are worth less because others have already doubled up)
Old 03-15-2007, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I double rebuy (and add-on at the end of the tourney) and willing to get all in early in a rebuy... I just don't see the point of rebuying after I've already busted out when I can "rinse and repeat" in a another rebuy tourney where I'm at a chip disadvantage by starting over when others at my table have already doubled before me...

Basically my idea is gamble early and if I bust out wait for another rebuy tourney to start (instead of rebuying in the same tourney when my chips I'm rebuying are worth less because others have already doubled up)

[/ QUOTE ]

there aren't enough rebuys to play a new one everytime you bust. You also end up filling your table with chips and assuming you are better than your opponents you will have a decent chance to win them back post rebuy period. If you play like i do in rebuys, you'll also have a great table image that 90% of random donks don't realise that during rebuy play is totally different to post rebuy play and they will stack off to me with really bad hands because im 'terrible and play crazy' so they can't fold second pair etc
Old 03-15-2007, 11:27 PM

If you wait for a new one you have to pay vig again.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:05 AM

great point, rebuys are a great way to play bigger prizepool tournies for a smaller rake. You should be willing to always go to the break with 5K no matter how many times you bust. The $5 & $10 rebuys can be a great training ground for the sunday million, they both have a mix of some very good players and lots of inexperianced players, and large chipstacks. Try the 10$ 1 rebuy 1 add-on if you only want to buy in once, you'll be at a disadvantage in a rebuy if you plan to leave after you bust each time.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This strategy makes you one of the good reasons to why I play rebuys. You virtually have no chance of winning the tournament, and you're putting in dead money all those times you bust and are not willing to play beyond the first break. Stars rebuys lose about 25-30% of their field during the first hour, that's a lot of dead money. Don't be one of them... Even if you play tight, you'll experience more bad beats during the 1st hour because people (me included) happily call all-ins with sooooted hands or connectors.

And I really don't understand why being at a chip disadvantage during the rebuy hour would be that bad?
Old 03-16-2007, 05:38 AM

You have to read masons book

Basically, he mathematically PROVES that if you bust out, it is profitable for you to rebuy.

Ironically, the added ev you get, comes from others higher up than yourself!

Yes, you must budget for 5-7 buy ins

I stopped playing them, for the simple reason that I knew it was + ev to keep rebuying, but at a certain blind level, you must be pushing crud. Bust out, buy in, push crud, bust out. Quite an expensive habit!

The problem is really this.

Even though it is +ev to rebuy, it is a very HIGH VARIANCE play. WHich means that you will prolly go broke again and again when you rebuy, and once in a while you recover, and get paid off.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

there aren't enough rebuys to play a new one everytime you bust. You also end up filling your table with chips and assuming you are better than your opponents you will have a decent chance to win them back post rebuy period. If you play like i do in rebuys, you'll also have a great table image that 90% of random donks don't realise that during rebuy play is totally different to post rebuy play and they will stack off to me with really bad hands because im 'terrible and play crazy' so they can't fold second pair etc

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the point I was going to bring up. The majority of players are so bad playing deep stacks that its actually an advantage for you for them to have lots of chips. People who bust without rebuying add so much dead money to the prize pool and they are little to no factor in the tournament.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:46 AM

OK, additional question: If you bust late in the rebuy period...do you still rebuy (and if so...double?).

What if it's a WSOP turbo/rebuy on Stars where the buy-in is $2 and 'top prize' is only $33? Or $5.50 buy-in and 'top prize' is only $160? Surely this is different than say; the $20K guaranteed on Stars ($3 rebuy but first place gets like ~$6K).