Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who is right?
My friend 3 18.75%
Me 13 81.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2007, 04:00 PM

Default Re: Married Men: How often do you remove your ring?

I used to take it off when I went to bed every night. Somehow I lost it.

I was practicing with this "band" which consists of a few people in my department who can vaguely play music. I remember there thinking "this is the first time I've played bass with a ring on." I went home, took it off, and went to bed. I usually just put it next to me in the bed. My wife lived in Oregon during this time because she had to work over there to finish her certification (she couldn't find a job in Pittsburgh that would work). I couldn't sleep, which is pretty standard, and so I got up and went to the grocery store to get something to drink. I remember asking myself if I should put the ring back on and I decided against it as I had already started to leave and didn't want to walk back to my room for basically no reason. I got something to drink at the store and came back. Not sure if I went to bed right away or what. Next morning I woke up and couldn't find my ring anywhere. My apartment was very messy since I lived by myself and am generally messy. The next couple days I cleaned everything and went through the room inch-by-inch. I was hoping that it would turn up when I moved, but it didn't. Some time I'm going to have to get a new one. I lost it almost exactly a year ago since our first practice last year was on groundhog day. I've been married less than 2 years so I've gone without a ring longer than I had one.

My wife doesn't wear hers all that often. She's overly worried about germs and that type of thing and she works with kids a lot so she doesn't wear it to work. Pretty much unless we're going out she doesn't wear hers. That's not quite true, but often after work she'll forget to put it on.

Not sure if it matters but for each of us our parents are still married. Neither of our fathers wear their rings at all. Her dad is an airplane mechanic, it's pretty dumb to wear at work if you do that, similarly when my parents were first married my dad was working in a mill. He stopped wearing his after another married guy somehow got his ring stuck on something and it shredded the skin under his finger and the idiot would not let them cut his ring off, he made them push the skin back under it so he could get his hand out. I think my mom wears hers pretty much all the time, not sure about my mother-in-law.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:10 PM

I wear mine all of the time except when I shower (leave it on the bathroom vanity).

I do put my ring on a neckless when I play sports because it just doesn't feel right. But I also don't like wearing a batting glove under my baseball glove and I'd prefer to swing a golf club without a glove as well for what that's worth.

Also, I spoke w/ the priest that performed our wedding ceremony and you do not need to wear your ring on your left hand ring finger. He told me it is not of any significance and that there are Europeans that wear the ring on their right hand. At least that's what he told me, and I don't see any reason for him to lie, he's a priest for goodness' sake. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-07-2007, 04:11 PM

I take mine off when I'm rock climbing since it would be easy to lose a finger in a fall if the ring jammed in a crack and all your weight came onto it.

Otherwise, I pretty much leave it on and it doesn't bother me at all although it did take a little while to get used to wearing.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:12 PM

For those that have lost it, do you go back and get it blessed like it was before the wedding? I'm not religious or into luck but just buying another ring and wearing it seems a little off to me.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:13 PM

I haven't read all the responses, but I have the same problem with knuckle-size: size 9 knuckle, size 8 finger.

I just went with a size 8.5, so it's a little tough getting it on and off, and it rattles a little bit. It kind of sucked at the beginning but I'm completely used to it now.

I used to take the ring off to shower and sleep, but I got lazy and just leave it on now.

The only time I really take it off is when I work out, because lifting weights with it is really annoying (metal ring scratching on metal bar).

Anyway, I say go with the size 10.5. It will suck getting it on and off at the beginning, but it will get easier over time.

My wife also had a good time making fun of me for my giant knuckles when we were looking at rings.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For those that have lost it, do you go back and get it blessed like it was before the wedding? I'm not religious or into luck but just buying another ring and wearing it seems a little off to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was I supposed to get my ring blessed? I don't think I did this and never heard of it before.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:16 PM

Quick: I have an important public service announcement.

I never take the ring off because I am physically unable to do so. And the reason is that I made the stupid mistake of wearing the ring one day while playing basketball. I jammed my finger pretty hard, and because I was wearing the ring apparently, the swelling in the joint was exacerbated. To this day, there remains some swelling around that joint. I probably could get the ring off, but it wouldn't be easy.

On the other hand, I see no particular reason to take the ring off either. If I did, I would likely just lose it somewhere, causing me untold grief.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:49 PM

I used to take it off at night, when doing activities, washing hands,etc, but I'm a scatterbrain and lose things easily, so now I just keep it on all the time. I only take it off if I am doing something like working with tools that that could get caught in. Took me awhile to get used to it, now I can't even tell that it;s on without looking/touching it.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Was I supposed to get my ring blessed? I don't think I did this and never heard of it before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blessing the rings is a part of many wedding ceremonies.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:02 PM

My Dad has the same knuckle problem. I don't ever remember him wearing the ring. It sits in a jewelry box on his nightstand with his class rings from High School and College.

I used to take mine off to shower or play sports, but I must have got lazy and stopped. I now play basketball with it, I have always played golf with it, I work out with it and I even wear it when woodworking (although I really shouldn't).

I just took it off and I have a pale indent where it was. I also have a callus where the ring touches the inside of my finger. It feels very strange not wearing it. And I've only been married for three years.