Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 03:30 PM

Default Re: Multi-platform games - 3 System Showdown

[ QUOTE ]
As far as graphics processing for the most part PS3 = 360.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm really not trying to re-ignite the flame war, but this is a popular misconception and it just isn't true. By any objective measurement, the XBox GPU is significantly more powerful. I can't really go into any more details for fear of violating this or that NDA.

[ QUOTE ]
They have their quirks, but the rendering is done excellently on both.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is true - they are both powerful machines capable of putting out some pretty sick looking stuff. In reality, usually it's the skill of the developers (programmers and artists) that really determines how good a game looks. Last-gen games like God of War and Shadow of the Colossus look better than a lot of 360/PS3 games because the art direction is so good and the technology really focuses on what matters.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is true - they are both powerful machines capable of putting out some pretty sick looking stuff. In reality, usually it's the skill of the developers (programmers and artists) that really determines how good a game looks. Last-gen games like God of War and Shadow of the Colossus look better than a lot of 360/PS3 games because the art direction is so good and the technology really focuses on what matters.

[/ QUOTE ]

is why I stated

[ QUOTE ]
As far as graphics processing for the most part PS3 = 360.

[/ QUOTE ]

To the end user all that matters is how good it looks and plays and for the most part they both do it equally well, just differently.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If having more disk space really allowed for more complex games, then PC games would already be taking advantage of it with multi-DVD games that use like 100 GB of hard drive space.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are plenty of games that take up huge amounts of storage, it's just installed on your machine, but it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. When I installed Doom 3 it took 6 GB, and if I had 1 GB of ram, but only a 5 GB of storage it wouldn't work. It doesn't necessarily mean games will be better, but games can be bigger and longer and can have many more options w/ more space. Ignoring space constraints is ignorant.

Space Issue in context to GTA IV

[/ QUOTE ]

Sourcing troll articles (then starting a new thread to do little more than link to said trollish article again), refuse to clarify what you mean by variety - what sort of game you 'want', refuse to state what you mean by 360 games not in the top 10 received "bad reviews" when dozens 8/10+, 100+ 7/10, etc..

Nice
Old 10-10-2007, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

To the end user all that matters is how good it looks and plays and for the most part they both do it equally well, just differently.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah 360 does it at 60 fps and PS3 does it at 30 fps
Old 10-11-2007, 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If having more disk space really allowed for more complex games, then PC games would already be taking advantage of it with multi-DVD games that use like 100 GB of hard drive space.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are plenty of games that take up huge amounts of storage, it's just installed on your machine, but it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. When I installed Doom 3 it took 6 GB, and if I had 1 GB of ram, but only a 5 GB of storage it wouldn't work. It doesn't necessarily mean games will be better, but games can be bigger and longer and can have many more options w/ more space. Ignoring space constraints is ignorant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sourcing troll articles (then starting a new thread to do little more than link to said trollish article again), refuse to clarify what you mean by variety - what sort of game you 'want', refuse to state what you mean by 360 games not in the top 10 received "bad reviews" when dozens 8/10+, 100+ 7/10, etc..

Nice

[/ QUOTE ]

9 9/10's. 4 FPS and 3 3rd person shooters, Oblivion and Forza Motorsport. And when Marvel Ultimate Alliance gets a 8+ it makes me skeptical of the games that fall into that category, and EVERY GAME has a 7+, so it's not saying anything.

Apparently this is a sore subject, and I'm very happy that you love your 360 and all it offers, however, I am pretty much getting what I expected. Halo 3 and a wait for GTA4, KOTOR (which may or may not be in development, I should check on that), and go pick up GoW once I'm done w/ Halo.

source
Old 10-11-2007, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah 360 does it at 60 fps and PS3 does it at 30 fps

[/ QUOTE ]

both systems are capable of 60 fps
Old 10-11-2007, 03:48 PM

Ok, so you don't like one game that got an 8/10 so now you're not going to even consider the other 62 games that scored 8/10+. That makes alot of sense. And of course, every single game gets 7+. There has never been a game that's scored worse. Again, perfectly logical. And yes, of course you again completely ignore the ~100 Live arcade games. Ok, that fits the score.

And you CONTINUE TO REFUSE TO CLARIFY WHAT YOU WANTED IN TERMS OF "VARIETY." This isn't a sore subject by any means. But you're putting out blatantly ignorant/trollish 'arguments' and refusing to clarify yourself. There's little to be done if you are just trolling, but if you're not and you really think your 360 is limited to Halo, GTA and KOTOR(?!?!?!?!) then you're really limiting the experience you're going to get from it to a tiny fraction of what it could be.

To put it a different way, it'd be like if I said I just went out and bought a PS3. I looked up the 9/10+ games for it. Oh look, only one - Oblivion. But I already played that. I guess I'll just leave it in the closet until MGS4 or FFXIII comes out. I'm not exactly the biggest fan of the PS3, but I hope even you can see that that would be completely blowing away that system's potential in ignorance.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice

[/ QUOTE ]

Disregarding a source you don't agree with out of hand as trollish is a pretty solid arguing tactic. Joystiq is entirely disreputable.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To put it a different way, it'd be like if I said I just went out and bought a PS3. I looked up the 9/10+ games for it. Oh look, only one - Oblivion. But I already played that. I guess I'll just leave it in the closet until MGS4 or FFXIII comes out. I'm not exactly the biggest fan of the PS3, but I hope even you can see that that would be completely blowing away that system's potential in ignorance.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are actually three and your biggest argument for how much the PS3 sucks is the lack of games, esp good games and how you could go spend $$$ on a system when no great games are out for it yet. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this point.

So there is a list of games I'm waiting to throw $60 down on, and it just happens to be that none of those games are out yet, so I'm playing lots and lots of Halo 3. There are also games coming out on the PS3 that I'm waiting to get, but I'm not about to go throw $$ down on a game that I might play for a month no matter what system it's on.

So here I am w/ two great systems waiting for the really great franchises to step up with the games I know I like. I'm not saying I won't try out some of these others, but for me it makes more sense to play the games I know I'm going to play, wait for the price to go down on some of the others I might enjoy, and take that money to buy a bag. So while you tote the excellent library of games, I just don't see it and will patiently wait until the tried and true franchises step up to the plate.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:14 PM

Another 3 paragraph rambling reply, and you continue to refuse to simply to clarify what sort of game/genre you want. What a suprise.