Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2007, 01:04 AM

Default Re: Talking About Speech Impediments

Did you ever see a speech therapist growing up? If not, why?

Has it become better or worse over the years?

Does anyone in your family also have a speech impediment?
Old 11-23-2007, 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In addition, you may want to think about picking each vacation you take according to different criteria. For example, Germany can be a wonderful country in which to kick back and relax. England, too. Your real problem will be attempting to travel to an area like the country right next to Germany. Any of them.

[/ QUOTE ]
Almost, but the word in bold would be a problem for me.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:06 AM

Is it Lou Holtz level?

Good luck with this, man.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:16 AM

Sounds like more of a speech minor annoyance. Just thank your lucky stars that you don't have a stutter.

**edit**

Sorry, that sounded kinda douchy. What I meant to say is that you seem to be on the lower end of the speech impediment spectrum. It sounds like you have something that can be fixed, or at least minimized. Kids with a bad stutter don't have much hope.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you ever see a speech therapist growing up? If not, why?

Has it become better or worse over the years?

Does anyone in your family also have a speech impediment?

[/ QUOTE ]
It has gotten better over the years. When I was young, it was very bad. When I became aware of it and realized what was causing it, I was able to control it more.

I guess I never went to a speech therapist because I wasn't aware that there was someone that could help me with this particular problem until probably age 19 or so. It seemed to me that people who went to speech therapists were kids with learning disabilities, not bright guys like me. I guess it was some combination of embarrassment and unwillingness to admit that I have a serious speech problem.

There are those who tell me or have told me it's not that bad. I guess I have tended to believe those people even though I'm not sure if they were just trying to make me feel better. Regardless, it is a big source of insecurity for me, and that is all that really matters.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it Lou Holtz level?

Good luck with this, man.

[/ QUOTE ]
The Lou Holtz lisp is more of an "interdental" lisping combined with a slight "lateral".

From Wiki:
[ QUOTE ]
"Interdental" lisping is produced when the tip of the tongue protrudes between the front teeth and "dentalised" lisping is produced when the tip of the tongue just touches the front teeth (like the sound [th]).

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-23-2007, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like more of a speech minor annoyance. Just thank your lucky stars that you don't have a stutter.

**edit**

Sorry, that sounded kinda douchy. What I meant to say is that you seem to be on the lower end of the speech impediment spectrum. It sounds like you have something that can be fixed, or at least minimized. Kids with a bad stutter don't have much hope.

[/ QUOTE ]
I do realize that my speech problems are minimal compared to what others have to deal with. However, after doing a search and finding no threads dealing with speech impediments, I thought it would be nice to have a place where I could talk about my lisp and invite other 2+2ers to do the same.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

**edit**

[/ QUOTE ]
I do realize that my speech problems are minimal compared to what others have to deal with. However, after doing a search and finding no threads dealing with speech impediments, I thought it would be nice to have a place where I could talk about my lisp and invite other 2+2ers to do the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even after my edit, I'm afraid I still sounded douchy; sorry pal. I'll just say good luck, and I'm sure that with as many users as 2+2 has, you'll be able to hear stories and advice from others suffering from the same affliction.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Kids with a bad stutter don't have much hope.

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2007, 01:50 AM

I've always had a thing for dudes with lisps and/or limps.