Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 05:16 PM

Default Re: The state of Notre Dame football.

[ QUOTE ]
Just chiming in to say that week in and week out this thread proves to be the most entertaining one in Sports.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. This is the first thread I look for when opening the SE forum, and I'm always happy to see more posts here.

It's not the delusional fans for me. Though no ND fan, I think an important part of the appeal of college football is tradition, and so I like the historically strong teams to do well. I feel bad for ND fans, to be honest.

But I love seeing an egotistical blowhard knocked down, and Weis fits the bill.

Some of the insightful criticism (shemp, desert cat, MT2R, Tom Collins, etc.) targeted at him is spot on.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:45 PM

Robert Smith got in a potshot at Notre Dame today during college football live

during the extra points segment, a viewer emailed a question that was asking what Notre Dame could do to get back on track
Smith replied, "I don't know. Maybe, get Ty Willingham back."
That got a nice "Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh" out of Rece Davis.
It made me laugh.
Smith went on to say something about developing the players that one recruits.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:35 PM

Hey, if Washington fans get their way he might be available.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just chiming in to say that week in and week out this thread proves to be the most entertaining one in Sports.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. This is the first thread I look for when opening the SE forum, and I'm always happy to see more posts here.

It's not the delusional fans for me. Though no ND fan, I think an important part of the appeal of college football is tradition, and so I like the historically strong teams to do well. I feel bad for ND fans, to be honest.

But I love seeing an egotistical blowhard knocked down, and Weis fits the bill.

Some of the insightful criticism (shemp, desert cat, MT2R, Tom Collins, etc.) targeted at him is spot on.

[/ QUOTE ]

glad to entertain you. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I actually agree with some of the criticism --he gambles too much and has quite an ego-- and I'm tough on Charlie in other forums.

But I'll go to the mat with those who say he's a horrible coach because of a bad season. They aren't making sense, they are chirping the I-hate-Notre-Dame mantra. My biggest regret is that I found the thread so late.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But I'll go to the mat with those who say he's a horrible coach because of a bad season.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody here has said that. OTOH, there are lots of people who say he's a horrible coach because of HORRIBLE DECISIONS he makes, or because of his TOTAL LACK OF ABILITY to develop these supposed top recruiting classes into players capable of executing the most basic football plays.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But I'll go to the mat with those who say he's a horrible coach because of a bad season.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody here has said that. OTOH, there are lots of people who say he's a horrible coach because of HORRIBLE DECISIONS he makes, or because of his TOTAL LACK OF ABILITY to develop these supposed top recruiting classes that are currently sophomores into players capable of executing the most basic football plays.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-10-2007, 05:57 AM

Most of the people are way off here in that CW has very little role in developing the players. The HC hardly ever works with guys individually, it's mostly the coordinators/assistants. Recruiting is kind of the same way although the HC has more of a role.
Of course it is his fault that better guys were not picked for these tasks as that is basically the biggest part of his job.
Also his in-game decisions and playcalling always seem shocking, although at least he's got the idea of going for it on 4th down almost every time at midfield right. It's pretty rare to see somebody decide go for it in a situation where it was obvious punting was better. In fact I don't think I have ever seen that until last week.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:41 AM

On a side note... Don't position coaches do most of the hands on development work while head coaches do most of the schemes and management issues? Granted he chooses the position coaches. But I find this whole business of attributing too much success or failure to Weis idiotic.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:57 AM

=[ QUOTE ]
Most of the people are way off here in that CW has very little role in developing the players. The HC hardly ever works with guys individually, it's mostly the coordinators/assistants...Of course it is his fault that better guys were not picked for these tasks as that is basically the biggest part of his job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the head coach cannot work out with every player individually all the time. Assistants do that primarily.

But not only is selecting those assistants a big priority for a head coach, so is supervising them.

I heard a second hand anecdote about Joe Paterno yelling clear across the practice field once when he was pissed off about a drill going on in the opposite end zone.

At the time, the point of the story was to illustrate the power of JoePa's voice. I'm bringing it up to show a head coach can work with the players as a whole, supervise, and be involved without running each and every drill.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:04 PM

Great point StevieG. Claiming that Weis is not responsible for his coaches' lack of progress in development is like say Bush is in no way responsible for the actions of his cabinet.