Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who pays for your education?
Parents 117 33.52%
Other relatives 10 2.87%
Student loans 52 14.90%
Financial aid 69 19.77%
You 87 24.93%
other 14 4.01%
Voters: 349. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-16-2007, 12:28 AM

Default Re: Barry Bonds indicted

[ QUOTE ]
TMTTR,

What would you think if the Government spent millions of dollars, and many years of efforts to finally get enough evidence to go to trial about whether or not you jaywalked on October 21st, 1990?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is completely analogous to the Bonds/steroids issue. The similarities are almost eerie in nature.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
TMTTR,

What would you think if the Government spent millions of dollars, and many years of efforts to finally get enough evidence to go to trial about whether or not you jaywalked on October 21st, 1990?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is completely analogous to the Bonds/steroids issue. The similarities are almost eerie in nature.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, for the sake of this analogy let's assume TMTTR stated under oath that he did not knowingly jaywalk.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:31 AM

And BTW I'm pretty sure jaywalking kills more kids a year than steroids.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
TMTTR,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

An analogous situation would be, if TMTTR jaywalked seven years ago, the cop on the scene asked him under oath if he did, and TMTTR then lied about it. DUCY?

I don't get it - you guys probably still think OJ didn't kill his ex wife, either. Just because you're an athlete doesn't mean your criminal conduct gets excused.

If Bonds had told the truth to the grand jury, he would not have been indicted today.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If Bonds had told the truth to the grand jury, he would not have been indicted today.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, you're assuming that he lied. He hasn't been convicted yet.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, you're assuming that he lied. He hasn't been convicted yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct. I am assuming, arguendo, that the federal government has sufficient evidence upon which to obtain a conviction. However, that will be determined at trial.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:22 AM

the federal government doesn't have anything approaching sufficient evidence to convict bonds. are you [censored] kidding me? why would they have kept his trainer in jail all that time trying to get him to crack? do you really think bonds didn't talk to his lawyer before he testified and say, "if they decide to try and prosecute me for this, will it stick? is this perjury?" does anyone REALLY think these charges are legit?

if you do please PM me with your screen name so i can change your title to 'dumbest [censored] hick ever'
Old 11-16-2007, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the federal government doesn't have anything approaching sufficient evidence to convict bonds. are you [censored] kidding me? why would they have kept his trainer in jail all that time trying to get him to crack? do you really think bonds didn't talk to his lawyer before he testified and say, "if they decide to try and prosecute me for this, will it stick? is this perjury?" does anyone REALLY think these charges are legit?

if you do please PM me with your screen name so i can change your title to 'dumbest [censored] hick ever'

[/ QUOTE ]

It's good to know that you are aware of what evidence and testimonies the prosecution possesses. Indictments don't come lightly. I would be surprised if they do not have a very good case.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's good to know that you are aware of what evidence and testimonies the prosecution possesses. Indictments don't come lightly. I would be surprised if they do not have a very good case.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with this is that there is only possible outcome that would be more catastrophic for the DoJ than failing to convict Bonds of all of this perjury and obstruction.

And that is failing to even indict him after 4 years and all this money and effort. There was pretty much NO WAY they would fail to push for an indictment, regardless of how much evidence they had, unless the grand jury itself decided it wasnt enough. But the standard to indict is pretty light, especially compared to the standard to convict. IOW, there was NO WAY the DoJ could have dropped this, regardless of what they thought their chances were.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your level of ignorance of how the federal criminal justice system works is astounding.

Before you decide to equate the federal prosecutor in this case to that local hick Nifong in the Duke lacrosse case, I suggest you do a bit of research on the DOJ's conviction rate. The feds don't indict unless they have more than a reasonable certainty of evidence to convict.

That certainly does not mean they automatically win. The indictment does not lay all their cards on the table.

I don't know whether he's guilty or not; I do know the feds aren't simply throwing stuff at the wall to see if anything sticks.