Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2006, 02:56 AM

Default 4 to the straight-flush, 3 different leads

Tulalip, north of Seattle. The table is fairly juicy, with an average of about 5 to any given flop.

BB in this hand has been here almost an orbit and has folded every hand preflop. He seems observant. UTG is new too, an older guy who loves action. Rest are your average "let's see a flop, maybe it'll hit my J3 offsuit" live players.

I flat call on this massively connected flop, pretty much resigned to looking for a board pair (but I reserved the right to raise if the turn was a blank). But when I get it, what then?

4/8 live (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

UTG calls, Hero calls, 1 fold, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, 2 folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (6 players)

SB checks, BB checks, UTG bets, Hero calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (4 players)

BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, MP2 bets, BB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls.

River: (9 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (4 players)

BB bets, UTG folds, Hero...?
Old 09-11-2006, 03:22 AM

Default Re: 4 to the straight-flush, 3 different leads

***GRUNCH***

I supose the question is go for overcalls or raise?
I would just call, giving MP2 the oportunity to raise, so you can RR, he was the guy betting the turn.
If he just calls you get the same bets as if you raise, MP2 folds and BB calls.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:16 AM

I think raising the flop is in order here with top set.
Call the turn with pair outs.
Raise the river. Whether you get 1 more bet from MP2 who may fold, or 1 more from BB, you need to try to get at least 1 more. Who knows MP2 may tag along for 2 anyway. Raise the river.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:59 AM

Just to remind you guys, there is four to the straight flush here. BB, who had been lying in the weeds, came alive for no discernable reason to bet into 3 players.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:06 AM

I really don't think the 4 to the straight-flush really matters. If BB has one of the 2 cards in the deck that beat me, then so be it. I'd rather raise my full-house for value, and call a three-bet from a striaght-flush, than to just call fearing a monster and show down a winner.

Edited to say that I'm assuming because you're posting this that you lost to the straight-flush?
Old 09-11-2006, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I flat call on this massively connected flop, pretty much resigned to looking for a board pair (but I reserved the right to raise if the turn was a blank). But when I get it, what then?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have raised the flop anyway. There's a lot of value being lost that may not be made up on later streets, especially if villains get passive (live game).

As you played it, I would raise-call the river. You've only played with BB for an orbit, which doesn't really make much of a read. You also don't have a read on him postflop because he hasn't played much preflop.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just to remind you guys, there is four to the straight flush here. BB, who had been lying in the weeds, came alive for no discernable reason to bet into 3 players.

[/ QUOTE ]

55/65, maybe 44
Old 09-11-2006, 03:52 PM

Yes, online I raise this in a heartbeat.

In a B&M there are jackpots up the wazoo, so no one of the 5 callers who holds a 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] is folding that flop, no matter what their other card is.

My thought was not of the straight flush UNTIL BB, an apparent thinking player, bet out on the river.

First, of all my opponents, he was most likely to have a 3 or 8 of spades, as the BB.

Second, he would have had good reason to just call the turn, with two players behind him, including a loose (but not insane) caller and someone who was obviously willing to call on that flop.

Edit: Then there was the possiblity that I get sandwiched between BB and MP2. (My read on MP2, however, included a wide range of hands that I wasn't particularly scared of. If I had been heads-up with him, this thread wouldn't have been necessary.)

If so, the river's where he's going to make his move - too much chance in a B&M game of it being checked around.

For the record, while my heart sank, I knew I couldn't live with myself if he turned out to have pocket fours, so I raised. He thought for a second, looked at me, and 3-bet.

I ONLY called the 3-bet due to my uncertainty about the newness of what, in retrospect (based not only on this hand but also his later play) was a rock-solid read. (He had 73 with the 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], which even gave him a rationale to call the flop with his TP).

And here's B&M for you: he almost just called my river raise because HE was scared I had something like A8 of spades.