Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 11:09 PM

Default 150/300 flop play

8 handed game. 2 limps including very weak player (same one from other hand), i limp A467 double sooted while telling mike l who is sweating me that i have no idea why i didn't fold, button comes along who is tight but not good.

Flop 36T putting a flush draw out there (not me) and a backdoor nutflush draw for me.

one of the blinds bets out fold to the weak player who raises, i 3bet

so basically the weak player never raises a naked a2 here, my hand has solid prospects against the two players showing an interest postflop and 3betting will get the tight button off any low draw without a high prospect i believe. mike told me later i should call. i told him i thought i could just fold but that raising is much better than calling. thoughts?
Old 11-07-2007, 01:40 AM

Default Re: 150/300 flop play

Why raise when you have a good chance to win half the pot and maybe scoop if it comes just right. you have a drawing hand why not play a multi-way pot?
Old 11-07-2007, 01:59 AM

Well not sure how 150/300 plays, never played above 30/60.. if you will ever knock out an A2 I like it. So you're putting the weak player on some kind of high hand, and you will most likely be getting checked to on the turn, unless you happen to get 4 bet preflop.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:47 AM

i thought there was a very realistic chance of getting it hu with the worst player because the initial bettor can easily fold here.

basically i saw my hand as a little bit of everything in every direction but not particularly dynamite in any of those directions and when i feel like that in omaha i usually hit the road or raise
Old 11-07-2007, 03:36 AM

that will get you the money in the long run, but I don't see a big benefit of getting it heads up (unless someone will fold A2)
either you make low or you don't and you only have a small pair, back door yada yada. I understand you don't need to be ahead to make raising right but it seems like a big parlay here.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:26 AM

Brick - Might the 2nd round three-bet knock out another second nut low?

Hero knows WeakGuy won't raise with A-2-Y-Z and by inference probably also won't raise with a worse low like A-4-Y-Z. But Button or Blind could be holding A-4-Y-Z and it would be hard for Button to continue to a triple bet and maybe also for Blind to continue to a double bet if either of them happens to hold A-4-Y-Z.

So by raising, Hero substantially reduces his chances of getting quartered. And if the triple bet knocks out Button, then Hero has gained position and might be able to get a free card on the next betting round. (Whether he does or not, he has more options with Button missing).

Of course the plan back-fires if Button, especially, or Blind has A-2-Y-Z.

Thus I like raising better than calling. But folding is tempting too.

Buzz
Old 11-07-2007, 10:22 AM

HOWMANY, 3 bet means see y'all at the river.

hands that will not fold to the 3 bet:
A2+pair
nut flush draw with BS low draw
top two/ middle and top set/3 pair
2-6 straight wrap.

hands that might fold:
A2xx
counterfeit protected low, rainbow (a nit would fold)
bottom two/ topbottom two pair/ naked bottom set

hands that will fold:
overpair
A3xx

so looking at those hand ranges: hands that are drawing liver than yours or have you crushed will stick around. is it worth trying to knockout button's naked A2draw to get position? probably not since he's yet to act and you have no idea if he has A2xx to begin with and if he did have A2xx, it's impossible to know if it's a oneway draw.

i'd toss it in the muck BUT now that we're here, calling is a better play since the button might read your cold call as a naked A2. so he might dump a naked A4xx. but then you're still dealing with two guys who probably have you beat and 3 betting them will insure a showdown at the river.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i thought there was a very realistic chance of getting it hu with the worst player because the initial bettor can easily fold here.

[/ QUOTE ]

you were there, we weren't. can't debate SB's propensity to lead/fold.

but if i was SB, i would have a strong hand to lead into a coordinated board in a highlimit multiway pot.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:26 PM

You have a bad hand. Raising is superior to calling, but both are pretty awful.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:04 AM

SB probably has a hand that wants multiway action (nut flush draw + decent low draw?) and the weak player probably has some kind of good high hand (if you say he can't have A2 here), so where does that leave you? Dogshit junction.