Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION

Old 10-03-2007, 07:13 PM

Default Someone is trying to hack my account.

I just got this message:

[ QUOTE ]
Someone from the ip address '195.175.37.70' requested a temporary password for the Login Name 'jman220' for the website 'The 2+2 Forums'. This is a temporary password that can be used if you have forgotten your original password. If you did not request this, please ignore this message. The temporary password for this Login Name is -- (edited out)

[/ QUOTE ]

Can someone please trace that IP?

Thank You.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:23 PM

Default Re: Someone is trying to hack my account.

As the message states, it's safe to ignore this message. The most likely cause of this is a user forgetting his info and requesting yours. It's not an issue because the e-mail is only sent to the real account holder's address. Furthermore, your regular password remains active when a temp password is given, and the next time you sign in and out the temporary one becomes invalid.

And if it is intentional they're just wasting their own time and/or being annoying. I was just about to step out for a bit, but I'll run some IPs when I get home.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As the message states, it's safe to ignore this message. The most likely cause of this is a user forgetting his info and requesting yours. It's not an issue because the e-mail is only sent to the real account holder's address. Furthermore, your regular password remains active when a temp password is given, and the next time you sign in and out the temporary one becomes invalid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, no problem. But there's a thread in ABout the forums where this seems to be happenning to several people, not just me (I discovered that thread after I posted here). Also, I'm not sure what you mean, by a "user forgetting their info and requesting yours," you mean someone forgot their username, and then thought that maybe they were jman220?

Edit: Link to thread in ATF http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...=0#Post12348093
Old 10-03-2007, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you mean someone forgot their username, and then thought that maybe they were jman220?

[/ QUOTE ]

It happens fairly regularly, although with that name I admit that it's harder for it to be accidental. Regardless, the only thing you need to be concerned about is being bothered.

EDIT -

Grr, after reading the whole thread I see the concern. The same IP has been used on a few people. sigh... I'm going to make myself late after all.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:30 PM

Ok, thanks.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:06 PM

This can be a warning that your email account has been hacked. Once someone gains access to your email they can use the forgotten-password dodge to start hacking your other accounts.

If you are one of the huge majority who don't change their email password often enough, might as well do it now.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This can be a warning that your email account has been hacked. Once someone gains access to your email they can use the forgotten-password dodge to start hacking your other accounts.

If you are one of the huge majority who don't change their email password often enough, might as well do it now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats good advice, and I am changing it now, thanks.