Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 08-30-2007, 12:06 PM

Default Extracting value vs. Protecting hand PLO8 $10 FTP tourny

This is a hand I had yesterday in double stacked PLO8 tourny on FullTilt Poker, I ended up bubbling, going out in 10th (was extremely angry with myself as had finished 3rd in same tournament the day before), and as I was looking back through my hand history I came across this hand. It came about early in the tournament but looking back I feel if I had gotten more value on my hand here then I would have been in much better shape for the rest of the tournament. The reason I potted the turn was to try and force any potential flush and low draws out of the pot. Is this the right action here? Should I have bet less to induce a call from a weak 2 pair or a hand along those lines? I can't really afford to split the pot, but if a low draw does call and the river comes high, I guess I've picked up extra chips.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1426599

All comments much appreciated
Old 08-30-2007, 12:23 PM

Default Re: Extracting value vs. Protecting hand PLO8 $10 FTP tourny

With your "low draw" you dont want to f uck around and let somebody who happened to fade that flop with an A2xx with hearts get a cheap look at a river...You want to make people pay HEAVILY for drawing at you when you don't have a strong 2 way hand...Stringing people along only ends up getting you in trouble in the long run when you don't have a good 2 way hand...What happens when a low heart comes on the river and you have to check to your opponent and he pots it? Then you have to make a decision for most of your stack right there...Is he on a bare-ass low or does he have you in both directions?

In your case you MAY consider the string along when you are in position, but I wouldn't recommend it...And maybe I'm a nit, but I wouldn't be playing this kinda hand in EP...It's something that I might give a look to in LP, but in EP I think you can muck this guy because you are gonna have to hit the perfect flop for it...
Old 08-30-2007, 01:27 PM

Yeah if this is a cash game I'm not playing this hand in EP but I'm deep stacked, the tables is really loose and theres very few raises being made preflop, at this point in the tournament I'm looking to play speculative hands to try and take down a huge pot. Thanks for your comments about my hand
Old 08-30-2007, 01:38 PM

The pot-sized bet is fine. Someone who has low draw plus flush draw already has odds to call; reducing the size of your bet just makes their life easier. Also, there are a lot of cards that will allow someone to put you to a difficult decision on the river - if you bet half pot and an 8 falls, and you check and opponent bets, now what? Could be someone betting a nut low or two-way hand, or maybe they just made their OESD.
Taking it down on the turn is fine.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:45 PM

See I think that this is the wrong attitude...I'd much rather speculate in a cash game where I can rebuy than in a tournament where I cannot...Again that is my philosophy...I tend to speculate in both types, but moreso in cash games...To each his own I guess...
Old 08-30-2007, 07:38 PM

Yeah but in this tournament when I'm 100bb deep and feel I can see a cheap flop 80% of the time when I limp I'm going to peel one off when I feel I can hit big and hit my double up. As I am new to PLO8 I tend to play very tight in cash games so as not to get myself into marginal situations, and so that I'm only getting my money in with the best hand. In cash games I can sit there all day knowing one big hand=jackpot. In tournaments I'm always looking for that one big pot thats going to see me deep into the tournament. The reason we are different in our approach is probably due to the different levels of experience we both have.